Destruction, decay, and Team Fortress 2.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
We'd have to make a decay and destruction texture pack for it to work as have you noticed only certain textures seem to fit in?

309blank

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2009
even though this thread is kind of old it helped me a lot to lay off the destruction / decay i wanted to employ in my first map. the only destruction i am going to use is a mineshaft dug into a cellar ( which I think works nicely in the tf2 unisverse). after all, they can randomly dig tunnels everywhere and then suddenly end up in each others bases. that sounds like something red and blu would do imho :).

but other than that i will refrain from incorporating the crumbled wall that i wanted into my bases, because i am really a mapping novice and i think there are some pitfalls there that i just didn't take into consideration.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
As Tapp mentions, map-destruction should have minimal or no overlap with the kinds of "battle scarring" which individual players can cause, so don't preemptively apply bullet-holes or rocket-divots into the ground.

Reminds me that in my artpass contest I did put some "window cracks" on a particular window that in the valve base had been a solid wall (some other people--like YM--made boarded up windows). I used security glass so that in this odd dead-end location blue could look out towards point B, but not do anything about it (eg. observational view only).

To highlight the solidity of the glass (as to avoid players trying to break it) I dropped two "glass bullet hole" decals on the glass, and by pure accident they're about 3 to 4 times larger than any decal done by bullets from any player-usable weapon.

So on the one hand, it's a "bullet hole" but on the other, it's HUGE, more like a rock or something big and heavy smacked into the glass (and still only cracked it).

Anyhow, yes.

Decay in TF2 is a very clean style of decay (much like these stairs on my porch where the wood has warped and bent up): no dirt, no scortch marks, no broken bricks, no shattered concrete, no debris, just age.

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
This is the list of guideline movies and games that I try to think of:
  • No-One Lives Forever
  • Austin Powers
  • Evil Genius
  • Get Smart
I always thought The Incredibles is good for spytech inspiration too

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Has anyone else noticed how some textures work really well with physichal damage and others do not so much?

I now think that decay can be alright aslong as the atmosphere is right.

For instance the breaking of the blu respawn wall on manor_event looks very nice because the lighting and atmosphere around it makes it fit perfectly.

The same goes with egypt as a wall that's been baking in the heat and is that old would be expected to have crumbled.

So in summary lighting and atmosphere are related to decay and destruction and don't over do it. (Also props and bit's off the bits which have fallen off helps).

Gamemaster