Designing an A/D Map

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I'm planning to enter the annual contest with a CTF map but I've never made a map of such size and scale before so the idea of creating a 3-stage map is somewhat daunting which is why I'd like to know how some of you have gone-about designing multiple-stage maps. If only to help me form an idea of how to tackle the initial design stage.

Do you draw all the stages on paper to begin with? Or do you develop each stage seperately then merge them all together?

Do you design with particular buildings and landmarks in mind? Or do you simply create a layout and fit architecture around it?

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Always start with paper. I like to design with all stages in mind to keep a continuum going. A sense of progress.

It also might be a good idea and not even think about aesthetics until you make the map work

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I'm now also working on an A/D CTF map for the annual contest. I first drawed the first stage on paper and then made then started blocking out the layout. When that layout was finished I changed/added things to let it fit. The layout of stage 2 is now drawed, and I'm now making that second stage in hammer..

So how I work: Draw stage 1 layout -> Make it in Hammer, Draw stage 2 layout -> Make it in Hammer, .. ;)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
When designing a layout what do you aim for? Do you try to aim for any particular goals?

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
I first think of a theme and environment the map will be. Then I'm going to search for some example maps, I run through them, and so I get some inspiration. I don't really aim for particular goals, they come automaticly :D

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
A general goal should be: what's wrong with other maps of this type, how can I avoid/fix those problems in my map?

I'm making a PLR map, and one of my goals is to not have it degrade into a sniperfest like Pipeline tends to.

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
My method for thinking was like this: "What would make a sweet explosion?"

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
What determines the shape of the level when you come to drawing the layout?

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
When designing a layout what do you aim for? Do you try to aim for any particular goals?

on the rare times I do map, its usually an attack and defend map

I try to focus on several things:
1. The map becomes progressively more difficult for blue to win through all the stages, this tends to be accomplished by the number of alternative routes (more is easier), the viability of sentry locations, and the number and effectiveness of places for blue to setup base camps.
2. Varying the control point locations (up high, in a house, in the open,etc) tends to vary the strategy people need to use and will hold their interest longer.

And just one other thing I would advise...sketch out all your rounds before mapping, I didn't do this one my last map and focused entirely on the 1st round, and never got around to the others.