Design query

LLamaBoy

L1: Registered
Aug 30, 2008
Howdy all

I'm a relative beginner to mapping, I played a bit with Hammer in the past, did a couple of simple CS maps, but nothing since Source.

Now I've had an idea for a payload map which may involve a lift/elevator at some point. My question to the gurus here is this: Are elevators a good idea functionality and design-wise, or are they unreliable or otherwise not very ideal?
Note that I could use a stairwell instead, but a lift would be more appropriate for the concept and overall setting of the map.

Thanks

Dec 25, 2007
Elevators in multiplayer tend to be unreliable, causing players to get stuck in them and either die or jam the elevator. Edit Just to clarify, this will normally only happen if more than 1 person is on the elevator at a time, and is more likely the faster the elevator moves.

The collision prediction and testing for the payload and entities parented to it on a payload map appears to be better (see http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=3089), and may make a elevator for the payload workable, but other elevators should generally be avoided.

The other problem with elevators is that they greatly limit the rate at which players can use them. Standing around waiting for the elevator to come back down is both boring and likely to get the player killed.

Last edited:

LLamaBoy

L1: Registered
Aug 30, 2008
Alright, thanks for the superfast reply, VelvetFistIronGlove. I figured the answer would be something along those lines

I guess I'll use the stairwell instead then, maybe with some winches or pulley details to reflect a similar concept to what I originally envisioned.

Cheers again