Design for a map I made

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Huwareyou, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Huwareyou

Huwareyou L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I created a plan for my first actual map that I am planning on creating soon. Its rather simple, as the furthest I have got to in my 6 months of mapping is creating a simple room with a control point and blu and red spawns. I based quite a lot of the design on various other maps, for example
    * Upper spawn is similar to frontier's upper blu spawn 1
    * Lower spawn is similar to the side exit for upward.
    * The death pit with the health and ammo is based up the side house in suijin.

(Where the control point is, the map is reflected for blu, as usual)

Can I get some feedback on whether you think this map would theoretically play well, along with suggestions.

Sorry if this is a bad design, I cant really think of any good ideas.

Attached Files:

2. hutty

aa hutty

Positive Ratings:
    Its kinda hard to visualize what your planning off of a top-down sketch, but my immediate concern is it looks like there is a direct line of site from the control point, across the bridge, and right into the spawnroom. This might make snipers too dominant in this area.

3. Huwareyou

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the feedback! I began working on this map a few hours ago, but currently have only done a basic 2 exit spawn for each side, along with a control point :/. Anyway, I noticed right after I posted that snipers had direct access to the enemy spawn, so I am thinking about placing fences around the control point like Suijin

4. Wyvern

aa Wyvern Certified TF2 Cartographer

Positive Ratings:
    Interesting Layout! I'd have to agree with Hutty on this one, That sightline could be pretty devastating to the players capping. Otherwise, this looks like a pretty standard Viaduct Formula map. Is this your first map, Huwareyou?

5. Huwareyou

Positive Ratings:
  6. Wyvern

aa Wyvern Certified TF2 Cartographer

Positive Ratings:
    Figured. Don't worry! Even The veterans have trouble with sightlines. Mapping is a process that takes a lot of refinement and practice. I'm excited to see your a1!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  7. Huwareyou

Positive Ratings:
    Its quite funny actually, I made a1 yesterday, it was pretty much just a control point and a spawn each with a main door and a corridor to a side spawn each, but when I tried to compile it, it kind of just broke, and kept on compiling an earlier version of my map. Eventually I just gave up and decided to start again.

8. Huwareyou

Positive Ratings:
    a1 should be out maybe by the end of the week

• Like Like x 1
  9. Maid

aa Maid Moocow

Positive Ratings:
    Check your compile log here, that sounds like it's the result of a leak.

10. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord Occasionally I make maps

Positive Ratings:
    Leaks don't cause full-on compile fails (unless you're using -leaktest, which I assume not). Something else is the problem. Regardless of what it is, that compile log checker should be able to find your problem. If it doesn't, post your compile log here.