Desert (working title)

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by GLaDOS, Nov 29, 2009.

1. GLaDOS

GLaDOS L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello everybody,

I have a bit of experience with hammer, but not a lot. I'd like to get better. I've posted the first layout of the first capture of my map. I hope you leave a comment/critique/it just sucks.

I've also posted it because I would like to hear if this map has potential to be finished. I hope you comment.

GLaDOS

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
    Its better to release your map when you complete it so it can be fully playable. The map, or the area in this case looks nice for a beginner ;) You should finish it. Al tough there is no detail and only two building. Keep practicing :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  3. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Wood texture grain should be in the direction of the beam it's on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mexican Apple Thief

Mexican Apple Thief L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER

Positive Ratings:
    How the hell has the name Desert not taken yet?

5. Rikka

Rikka L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Would you want to be the person with a map with such a generic name as desert?

There really isn't much to judge based off those screenshots. The second point looks a bit interesting, but nothing serious can be said until you have more to show.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. GLaDOS

GLaDOS L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Desert is the name until I can think of something better. I know it isn't very original. I've detailed the building, improved the displacements and some play tested. Next I will add the second point I think, because I haven't made it yet. The tower on the second picture isn't a cap, but it is a sniper tower. I made it because the snipers can watch the point, but (because of the rocks) can't spawn kill and don't have a big advantage because all the points of cover.

Thanks for commenting,

GLaDOS

7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    When working on the layout, try using dev textures at first; simply type "dev" without quotes into the Filter box when browsing for textures. Also, to make releases easier to recognise, use the alpha/beta/rc system: alphas are used for testing, aren't public, and usually lack final textures. Betas are public releases, are textured, and are usually tested on full-scale servers. RCs, or release candidates, are like final betas: if there's nothing wrong with a map, the RC will become a final. Your map is looking good, I really like that first point; the stairs seem to big, however. Can't wait to see how this turns out.