CP Delicious

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by MegapiemanPHD, Mar 9, 2014.

1. MegapiemanPHD

aa MegapiemanPHD Doctorate in Deliciousness

Positive Ratings:
    Here is my Layout entry for the "A Tale of Two Skillsets" contest.

VMF download link: https://mega.co.nz/#!tAcyFLBK!MtTnhSonzf9neyhc-WrIu2xc2VIkkis3Sp1dlHt821k

I did a bit of experimentation with this CP map and I hope things turned out well. The spawns use a system of lights and numbers to inform players of what gates are locked and which are unlocked. If a red light is on above a gate, that means it is locked. If there is no red light, the gate is unlocked. Lights can be seen either above the gates or above that gates number on a wall directly in front of the spawning entities. I hope this system gives enough feedback to avoid confusing players.

I do fear that the map may be congested or claustrophobic in a few areas, hopefully this is not the case. I don't have anyway to test my maps on a live server with players.

Please let me know what you think of the layout and best of luck to everyone else in the contest.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. MegapiemanPHD

Positive Ratings:
    Last minute update to the map. Hope things work better now.

3. Berry

aa Berry if you read this you're a nerd

Positive Ratings:
    It's an interesting first. The most notable problems however were: HL2 skybox, very dark indoors (I couldn't tell what team people were on sometimes), lack of arrows and you hadn't clipped off the top - people were jumping up there and abusing that. There was a lot of lazy brushwork too, many floating pieces, or cubes just plain missing in the further out areas of the map.

4. Acadium

Acadium Playtest Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
    In addition to Berry, I also discovered that you could walk out under 2nd while it was being capped. And enemy can come out of nowhere from below you, and stop a capture like *snaps fingers* that. For a map that has no forwards (instead has locking and unlocking door) a door that leads to 2nd is equal to a forward spawn. Would you have a forward spawn to 2nd on any other 5-CP map? Nope.

I really like mid though. A very interesting design, the nipple being the point like Gullywash, but actually having to stand on the nipple is interesting.

5. MegapiemanPHD

Positive Ratings:
    I had thought that the skybox and clips would factor into the design part of the map since I couldn't plan on what people would do with it. Same with any floating areas. I specifically only focused on the layout of the map as the contest said, but I can see why I may have needed to do a few more things. I'm not sure what you mean by missing cubes, if you mean cubemaps, I didn't put in any as I thought that would also be part of the design phase.

6. MegapiemanPHD

Positive Ratings:
    I was thinking of Badlands when deciding where to put the different doors. Badlands has the spawn right next to A and a smaller one near B, plus a forward spawn near C. Though Badlands 2nd spawn isn't below the point as the one in this map but I had hoped that the open area in front of the gate would balance out how close the spawn is. I didn't have a server to test the map on so I had no idea about the mid point issue. If someone does decide to detail the map for the contest, hopefully they can fix any issues with it.