deli

Jamini

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 14, 2008
"Deep in the mountains, the small mining community of Deli has uncovered a large, rich deposit of oil. Making the community rich virtually overnight. A small branch of The Reliable Excavation and Demolitions company and the Builder's League United have caught word of this windfall, and have begun takeover procedures on the small town's industries within hours of the strike. As both companies race to take over the entire valley, knowledge of the other corporation's plans are vital.

Fortunately, both corporations have their head office within spitting distance of one another. As is procedure, mercenaries were hired and have arrived to the small idyllic town within hours, armed to the teeth and ready to fight."

ctf_deli was my first attempt to create a release-quality map for team fortress 2. Set deep in a lush alpine mountain range, this small map encourages aggressive play and creating bases within your opponent's buildings. The main goal of this map was to discourage the stalemates that are extremely common with CTF maps by making the intel room itself difficult to defend with a single sentry or sticky trap, requiring as much effort for a successful defense as an assault. The map emphasizes vertical and aggressive play.

Two features specific to deli are the intel respawn timer and capture rules. The intelligence resets after only thirty seconds in the field, encouraging players to actually defend it should it be brought out of the base. Secondly, the capture zone is further back than the intelligence spawn (and easier to defend), forcing players to take multiple routes to capture. Finally, it is impossible to capture the intelligence while the enemy is standing on the capture zone, encouraging aggressive engineer play and forward teleporters over the standard "Intelligence in the base" setup.

This map is best played with 12-24 players. Fast and instant respawn are also much less of an issue than say... 2fort or turbine... thanks to the close proximity of the intelligence to the spawn room. Despite this, the map rarely stalemates due to the layout of the intel room. (unless a team has 3+ engineers. Even I can't compensate for that amount of turtle). the map is also quite fun with as few as 6 players, provided the teams are fairly balanced.

Comments and criticism are welcomed and encouraged. While the layout is mostly set and most of the optimization is finished, I always encourage new ideas to improve deli.

Keep a look out in two months for my new map: plr_ascent!

Last edited:

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
Some Pictures:

ctf_deli_b60000_583.jpg

ctf_deli_b60001_d7b.jpg

ctf_deli_b60002_tcm.jpg

ctf_deli_b60003_1b0.jpg

ctf_deli_b60004_0Ji.jpg

ctf_deli_b60005_AbY.jpg

ctf_deli_b60009_O41.jpg

ctf_deli_b60007_Dk9.jpg

ctf_deli_b60006_34p.jpg

Fire Tock

L1: Registered
Sep 14, 2008
coooooooooool

Jamini

Nov 14, 2008
In what way, madmaster?

Also, for some reason when I compiled my cubemaps for HDR in this version is made the map super-bright. I'm working on fixing that, and I apologize to any snipers blinded by the bright light effects.

I'm still not sure what happened there.