Defuse

DVD

L1: Registered
Jun 7, 2009
Hello, first time mapper, also first time poster and new to this site, so please be brutal :)

I made a single stage Payload Race map called Defuse. The thing that annoyed me about Pipepline is that it too easily turns into a Hydro like Stalemate, so I wanted to make a map that actually felt like a race, with a greater emphasis on pushing your cart rather then trying to defend that last point.

Since I've never really made a map before, I have no idea what balance issue exist with this map, and since I don't have any friends who have TF2 :)() I can't play test it beyond testing the triggers.

There a "checkpoints" within the map that will help the enemy team catch up should one team get too much ahead (Mario Kart style D:).

I uh, have no idea what I'm doing with the lighting, the map looks alright when I render it using "Fast" but when I tried doing a HDR version for this upload, there are some bright spot problems :confused:.

I'm also having trouble making the map look pretty :(. I have no idea how to use the skybox thing, and creating surrounding scenery, and I'm just learning to use the displacement map thingy. And I'm not good at picking out these textures.

Hopefully the map is fun regardless of how crap it looks. There is still some stuff I want to add into the map, like the enemy's cart exploding if your team wins, and some fire effects. Also for some reason I can't get the model orange_cone to bloody work. And for some reason some of the doors stopped playing door sounds :confused:.

Please let me know what you think!

Last edited:

brick

L3: Member
Apr 12, 2008
Dont compile your map on fast, you shouldn't need to. You need to setup some things for hdr before it looks good.

You need an env_tonemap_controller (name it tonemap_global) and a logic_auto in your map. Add those outputs to the logic_auto:

Output | Target entity | Input | Parameter
OnMapSpawn | tonemap_global | SetAutoExposureMin | 0.7
OnMapSpawn | tonemap_global | SetAutoExposureMax | 1.1
OnMapSpawn | tonemap_global | SetBloomScale | 0.3

Also check out those tutorials:

Also the intensity of the lights for hdr makes a difference. I found that HDR needs to be around half intensity of the non hdr light.

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
that final hill looks super duper incredible mega to the power of awesome steep...have you tested to make sure the cart can make that sharp of an incline without like colliding with the ground as it tries to tilt upward?

DVD

Jun 7, 2009
Dont compile your map on fast, you shouldn't need to. You need to setup some things for hdr before it looks good.

You need an env_tonemap_controller (name it tonemap_global) and a logic_auto in your map. Add those outputs to the logic_auto:

Output | Target entity | Input | Parameter
OnMapSpawn | tonemap_global | SetAutoExposureMin | 0.7
OnMapSpawn | tonemap_global | SetAutoExposureMax | 1.1
OnMapSpawn | tonemap_global | SetBloomScale | 0.3

Also check out those tutorials:

Also the intensity of the lights for hdr makes a difference. I found that HDR needs to be around half intensity of the non hdr light.

Ah, I thought I was missing something.

I do a Fast render because the HDR render takes a long time, the last time took about an hour :bored:.

DVD

Jun 7, 2009
that final hill looks super duper incredible mega to the power of awesome steep...have you tested to make sure the cart can make that sharp of an incline without like colliding with the ground as it tries to tilt upward?

Yeah, I've tested the map, and everything works, the cart even falls of end platform quite nicely, which I feel immensely proud of :)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Add some nice warm orange lights inside the building to help counter the cold colours. :)

Anda02

May 30, 2009
The layout of the map looks pretty nice, although I do think you need to add in more subtle details.

DVD

Jun 7, 2009
I'm having a strange problem with the doors, for some reason, I can get stuck in them while they're closing/opening, instead of applying crushing damage. I made this map while I didn't have the carts in the place and door worked as it should. Its only now that I have the carts in place, they don't work properly. Is there are way to make them work normally?