Decals on Models?

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008
Hey everyone, I'm pretty much a noob at mapping, So I have a question:
Is it possible to add decals to models? Or do I have to retexture models with added blood and pakrat it?
tf2detailpz2.png

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
You can try using a brush with the 'invisible' /tools texture and put it reeaallly close to the prop, then add the decal/overlay on there

AntonJ3000

Oct 29, 2008
You can try using a brush with the 'invisible' /tools texture and put it reeaallly close to the prop, then add the decal/overlay on there

Thanks, but it don't show up in-game, Did I do something wrong?
faileddecalnv4.jpg

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Use the nodraw texture, 1 unit thuick block of it and use the front face as the blood's texture (don't use an overlay) and that should work, I did this in pl_hoodoo and it worked fine.

Also with the sign in the back make sure you set the render order of the two overlapping overlays so the one you want renders above the other one.

AntonJ3000

Oct 29, 2008
Use the nodraw texture, 1 unit thuick block of it and use the front face as the blood's texture (don't use an overlay) and that should work, I did this in pl_hoodoo and it worked fine.

Also with the sign in the back make sure you set the render order of the two overlapping overlays so the one you want renders above the other one.

Thanks a lot, It worked.
But first I thought it was responsible for
Code:
SteamStartup() failed: SteamStartup(0xf,0x0012EB98) failed with error 1: failed to take master pipe connection lock

But that was just steam being retarded.

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
You can also build a block around the model and tie it to func_brush, insisible and not solid.

AntonJ3000

Oct 29, 2008
You can also build a block around the model and tie it to func_brush, insisible and not solid.

Oh, so that's why the invisible thing didn't work? You have to do it func_brush... I'll try that too later. (It's a lot less work and looks better)