DeathMatch

fletcherStudios

L1: Registered
May 15, 2008
Quake 1 DeathMatch- a texturing experiment

I've always loved Valve's games and esp. TF2 - it got me into trying my hand in texture mapping.

This is my first attempt at making and applying texture maps - I'm fully aware that this style isn't
the same as TF2's - that will be my next attempt!

The level I got from FPS Banana - A guy named Mike re-made all the old Quake1 maps for use in Hammer
(Mike if you read this, email me so I can give you full credit - I can't seem to find your original
upload on FPS Banana!)

Anyway - I'm just getting into this and am looking for critiques, criticisms and if anyone needs
textures, let me know!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2009
Those textures are way too realistic for tf2, if you made them, than you shold make them more like tf ones. ;)
I can't say anything about the layout right now as i havent played it yet, but am willing to do it.

Last edited:

Xy²

Nov 15, 2009
Looks intresting.
Can u give me a picture with the layout of ur map?

T

The Asylum

I sure hope it's not just going to be purely indoors. That's the thing with taking a map made for an older game and remaking it for a newer game with a vastly different style like TF2.

Take a look at this video comparing TFC's 2Fort to TF2's 2Fort

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLY9ezrVtU"]YouTube- Team Fortress Classic vs Team Fortress 2 (2FORT)[/ame]

fletcherStudios

May 15, 2008
Wow - thanks for everyone replying so quickly!

I will certainly try to make the textures more TF2 like - guess I need to learn more level making so I have more interesting environments to paint. Perhaps this batch of texture maps is better suited to Left 4 dead, eh?

Does this site allow map uploads, or do I need to post it somewhere and provide a link? (and if so, any recommendations?)

Thanks again for the feedback - keep it coming!

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
Most of the serious mappers use drop box, but you can use mediafire.

Feb 17, 2009
Well, the best thing would be if you host your map on a no-wait server like dropbox or tf2maps.net

T

The Asylum

I of course have my own website that I store all my stuff on. Cheap, but it works.

fletcherStudios

May 15, 2008
Has anyone played it? I have re-submitted it with the texture files ACTUALLY in it.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2009
Well, i tried to, but i couldn't.
You forgot to pakrat your textures in the map.
dm20000.jpg

fletcherStudios

May 15, 2008
Crap - I shoulda seen that the file size was too small - I re-upped it (its now a 45 meg file) can someone try it and see if it works?

Ten19

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2009
As a reverent fan of the original Quake 1 game (i.e.: the best Quake), I greatly look forward to giving these a look. Looking at the screens, I instantly recognized Claustrophobopolis, and was instantly excited.

I will agree that the textures don't really seem to fit the TF2 style, but those can always be adjusted if the layouts still work.

I've also played with the idea of converting a few of the Q1 DM maps into TF2-style ones, but haven't yet tried it out.

EDIT: At the moment, the download link is broken.

Last edited:

fletcherStudios

May 15, 2008
Ok - link should be good - Ten19, I had the EXACT same idea of transforming Q1 maps into TF2, I think that most of the single player missions lend themselves to Attack/Defend type maps where the capture point would be where the teleporter exit would be.

Ten19

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2009
How exactly did the original author make this? The geometry is perfect as far as I can remember, but the fact that it's trying to place item_rocket entities has me concerned that it's just basically copy+pasted from Qoole or an older version of Worldcraft.

Aesthetically, the textures look nice, but there are some strange choices, and graphs on the walls(?). Also a lot of the lighting is blindingly too close to the brushes, and some color choices are a bit extreme. Gameplay-wise, I'm not sure what game mode would work.. Perhaps if some symmetry was introduced for an Arena/KotH map, or if was one stage on a larger map.

If it was made by hand, then this could certainly have a use if implemented correctly.

fletcherStudios

May 15, 2008
Here is the authors readme.txt:

Happy Birthday Quake!

After hours of thinking, clicking and typing, i finally got it right!

So here they they are!

All the original maps included in the original Quake release and their texture in .vmf .vft and
.tga. Also a few maps that didn't make it to the release of the game (e2m10 and apparently dm7
and dm8) probably due to a 1.4 mb .bsp limit the developers set them selves.

There is still a lot of work left to be done i wont even get into at this point. None of the
textures are animated, and as you can see a lot of them should be, this is just way too much
work atm.

Also i noticed another texture bug, i don't know what its called but i think its quite common,
I've seen it a lot in third party maps for Duke Nukem 3d and so on, both in editors and in game.

And again fixing this one map or texture at a time is too much work.

But anyway. Enjoy!
-Mike

---------------------------------
I wish I could find this guy - I'd love to give him some credit