Death Run maps

Discussion in 'Portal 2' started by Stun_gravy, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Stun_gravy

Stun_gravy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Has anyone considered doing a Death Run style map in Portal 2? These were pretty popular in CS. You could have one player trying to reach the end of a map while the other player watches and hits switches for various death traps spread around the level. When the runner dies the roles switch. Whoever manages to survive the whole thing first wins.

I figure if it's done right there's potential for a lot of replayability, and there's probably a lot of fun to be had killing your friends with mashy spike plates and trap doors.

I think I might focus my efforts on this, anyone have any input?

Here's an example of a CS:S Death Run map http://youtu.be/4UvcVTTGFjo

2. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Valve doesn't allow for custom co-op maps yet.

3. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I do remember having a lot of fun on these maps, and although I'm usually against gimmicky maps in general, I feel like this could work in portal 2.

It would at least be a way to get around the lack of replay value inherent to portal maps.

4. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  5. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Oh I'm sure you could do it if you overwrote an existing map and entered into that map from the hub.

6. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    It could be possible. The trouble is, players are a lot less fallible than automatic stuf, so you'd need to account for that.

7. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Wait, I thought this was how Co-op working already? Try to kill the other guy and get to the exit first.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  8. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    I quite like the sound of, you have to get a cube or ball to the other end. the player who carries the ball over the finish line, wins. Might add more strategy

9. Stun_gravy

Stun_gravy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So you're thinking instead of having the two players isolated from each other, they're trying to run the same course but sabotaging each other along the way?

10. LeSwordfish

Positive Ratings:
    No... let me giveyou an example... You go first, carrying the companion cube past the first obstacle, but i kill you at the second. Then i go, and grab the cube, but you kill me at the third. You get a go, and get the cube past obstacle four to the end. so you win.