Death heat maps

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

shpladoink

L3: Member
Dec 19, 2007
I saw someone create a death heat map (much like the ones on the valve stats page) using bots on a private server, but could find no information on how to do it. Anyone able to help me out with doing this for a custom map in a live setting? I'm sure it would be of use to others as well.

cyked

L3: Member
Dec 18, 2009
its difficult and invloves taking an Overview Shot, A bunch of regular expressions code using some file generated by the server, and ClickHeat. Fireslash (the man behind tf2stats) was the one who was working on it. id ask him to see if he could point you in the right direction (and me aswell :D )

FireSlash

L2: Junior Member
Sep 29, 2009
You mean this?

I couldn't find a reliable method of obtaining the source images, so that project is abandoned at the moment.

Also, I ended up using tempest since clickheat was kind of bad for this.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
well...since that other method has been abandoned apparently...your best bet would be to run some kind of stat tracking program, either hlstatsx or psychostats

Provided this is a standard dedicated gameserver...you need another host running a database and a few other things. These programs basically read the log files and track either where ever people die, or where people are when they get kills. In my experience psychostats has a tendency to fail, and ive never ran hlstatsx. For a first time doing something like this...expect hell <_<

And thats all for the actual data, beyond that you need to use cl_leveloverview x (i guessed on the command, might not be right) where x is a number. Take a screenshot, edit it, go in the level and get the coordinates of the edges of the picture. Then give the coordinate to the program.

Then provided that all works, there needs to be a bare minimum of 1000 kills to see anything useful, 7000 is better.

Though the idea of generating the logs with bots fascinates me...but I figure bots still work on barely any maps right?