Deadline

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by luxatile, Jan 14, 2010.

1. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    DEADLINE by MUFFIN MAN
    Capture the Flag

The name Deadline is, indeed, a reference to the fact that this is a contest map for the "comp CTF" contest and I need to be quicker than normal, but first and foremost it refers to the early winter/chilly setting (stuff is frozen and dead, get it? >_>).

This is standard CTF in every sense, but, being an entry in the contest, I'm designing it to be play "fast", mainly by reducing intel room camping. There is very little ammo next to the small intel room, which has two entrances on opposing sides. There is also much room for setting up offensive bases and otherwise preparing for the offensive players.

I want feedback on:
    • Health and ammo placement.
    • How powerful are sentries? I'm trying to reduce intel camping to 0.
    • Respawn times.
    • Return time for the intel. Currently standard (60).
    • Is the map too big/too small, in terms of travel times?
    • How do you feel about intercepting carriers? Can they flee too easily?
    • What do you think about the "staging areas"?

Thanks to (alphabetical order):
    • A Boojum Snark
    • Acegikmo
    • The Swamp Pack team
    • The TF2Maps.net chat room and community

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. The Gentlemanne

The Gentlemanne L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

looks like a car!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    That bridge looks really low, can you actually walk under it?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Zwiffle

Zwiffle L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Deadline would be a great name for a L4D map if no one has used it. I'm sure someone has though.

Do you think we can get a layout pic soonish? The description says you want to limit intel camping, but I'm afraid the intel room looks much too small for that. Only testing will tell though.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Deadline is the name of the SDK tutorial campaign thing Valve provided. :V

And yes, so you can walk under the bridges because EVERYTHING IS TOO BIG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    So now I know what to do for a2 - scale down the middle. By a lot. I'll also have to think of a way to make the intel room even less campable...

7. Boonsaw

Boonsaw L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I actually enjoyed the map a lot as demo/scout.

The map overall is too large, make sure you don't ruin something while scaling though. Has to be some place for battle (and not the bases).

Also, while these doorways both lead to the intelligence sooner or later, this is really confusing:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Mr. P. Kiwi

Mr. P. Kiwi L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    When you say "less campable" do you mean that the team who owns the inteligence wouldn't be able to keep the place safe from the opposing team? Or that the opposing team would not "camp" in the enemy's intel room?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Kiwi: The former.

10. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    this was very fun to play, health and ammo was placed well, but you should try and make the middle more appealing to hold than the intel room, that way the action would be taken away from it and stop camping

I told you about some graphical problems in game, the fence and the steps

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. bob+M|M+

bob+M|M+ L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I liked the bases, especially the back route to the intel. intercepting a carrier seemed fair. overall the map felt large and the walking distances long. I think the middle could use some reworking along with scaling down.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Walker

Walker L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

The same goes for the ledges at mid that I can't get to. :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. H-land

aa H-land

Positive Ratings:
  14. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DEADLINE A2 RELEASED!
    Layout
    • Scaled down the middle a lot by making it overall shorter and making the bridge thinner, also redid the ground in the process.
    • Made the right-side exit of the base less sniper friendly, and removed the (now redundant) trucks on the bridge.
    • Upgraded the health in the garages by the middle to medium.
    • Removed glass from another window in the battlements by the spawns.
    • Moved the large door to the intel room closer to the intelligence.
    • Made the wall opposite of the intel thicker to reduce how useful the sentry spot is.
    • Made the interior of the shack next to the intel room smaller and placed the supplies closer to the door.
    Bugs
    • Added missing clipping to a staircase.
    • Fixed door models overlapping the walls.
    Details
    • Replaced the ground texture with the regular snow for now.
    • Added taller fences to make it obvious that you can't jump up to some of the balconies.

(Right now the file is still uploading because Dropbox is stupid, but it should be up tomorrow...)

15. StickZer0

aa StickZer0 💙💙💃💙💙

Positive Ratings:
    Looks much better, but really moody and cold and wet D:
    Can't wait to play!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Right, sorry for the terrible way I released this, but I had already written that post when I realized it wasn't going to upload yesterday (basically, 7zip is unstable and sometimes makes bz2 files that won't upload). And I didn't realize I could save it as a text file. I'm smart like that.

Either way, Deadline a2 is officially out now. :)

17. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    To start with: spawntimes!!!
    2nd: many of your doorframes are very narrow. try not to use that small spytech doorframe everywhere, it makes it only harder to get everywhere smoothly. (thinking about fast comp games now too).

Some thoughts :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Jimmy

Jimmy L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ok, spawntimes are an issue, but apart from that the only main problem is the sentry spot just out of the right side of the intel room near the dead end with health and ammo. I liked the mid and enjoyed playing heavy on a map :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Mick-a-nator

aa Mick-a-nator

Positive Ratings:
    It seems rather tall. By that I mean the slope-thing to the bridge is quite steep and a few of the stairs around each base are quite high (eg there is fall damage in each bases exit to the bridge). Could you reduce those just a touch?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I think the test went better this time, so I'm going to keep the layout size more or less like this and focus on smaller issues.

First of all, spawn times will be reduced for a3. I'll also look into the other stuff you said.

Something I want input on is whether the return time is good. In my opinion, 60 seconds should work well because any less makes it easier for the defense, and I don't see how that is good. On the other hand, long return time makes Scouts better because they can get the intel quite far on their own and wait for someone to carry it the rest of the way. I'm tempted to reduce it, since comp teams usually have 1-2 Scouts...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010