De_dust for TF2?

E

Esuzu

I can't make maps myself because I suck a things like these Im afraid. That is why I write here, I wonder if anybody would think the de_dust map in CS would work in TF2? :)
I heard that Cp_wolf was a remake form QW:Enemy Terriories so that's how I got the idea. If that could work, why not de_dust?
Ctf or cp?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Aside from my vast dislike of the map, there are a couple reasons it wouldn't go so well... It would need reworked textures to match the TF2 style, it's designed for a different type of gameplay and isn't the right kind of layout for one of the standard TF gametypes, if either the texture theme or layout are changed to fit it's not really Dust anymore and thus defeats the point of remaking.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
No point remaking it, its already been done.

de_dust doesn't work in TF2, its just pants (I believe thats local slang for rubbish)

alehm

L1: Registered
Jan 10, 2008
It really wouldn't work by design IMO.

You have to look at the 9 classes of TF2 (their abilites) and see what functions would they server in the design of dust_2.

Also, since TF2 is bascially CP or CTF I don't even see how that could work without redesigning dust_2.

You could give it a try, anythings possible. I just wouldn't expect many people to play the map.

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
Snipers would own at the bridge part, pyros in that indoors tunnel, and spy would have plenty of places to hide... demomen have lots of places to trap... a couple places where rocket jumping would be handy too... I could definitely see it as a decent assault/cp type map if you places the red/blue spawn in a new area in between a and b.

Voztron

L2: Junior Member
Jan 14, 2008
I hate maps that are remakes from other games. There is no point, they are frustrating and not fun. Dust was made for a particular game style that is far from TF2.

Time would be well spent using your creative efforts in making the next "dust" for TF2 and not a boring, Frankenstein of a rip off...

S

Squirrelly

It can be kind of a fun twist, but usually the gameplay sucks, but for some reason people gobble it up and play it just because its a copy of another popular map, even though a different game.

In the mapping scene its usually looked down upon to copy, i know on other mapping sites they just flame u and insult u for even bringing it up.

If I did that personally, remade dust2 or something for TF2. Im not sure if i would take credit for it or announce it, just to be safe... lol

but then again if u don't care that, do whatever u want, if its a good remake, it will be popular probably :/

alehm

Jan 10, 2008
Well low and behold I saw a server playing a Dust2 map last night. I almost thought about joining to check it out but I didn't because about 4 other mates were already in game somewhere else.

jahrain

Jan 5, 2008
I think it would be a great idea to make a dust themed map, but I would not recommend copying the map's layout. It was designed with another game in mind. It would be interesting to see a middle eastern styled map, with it's interesting architecture like in dust, and perhaps a non-linear invasion styled control point layout. Just build a map layout from scratch, then wrap around a dust like theme to give the map the same look and feel of dust and most definitely, with that tf2 cartoonish visual style touch.

I don't see that as a bad idea at all. Most maps that I have ever created (not for tf2, but for other games) were based on a theme or visual style inspired from other games but I worked out the map design and layout myself to fit my ideal map design theory values.

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
No point remaking it, its already been done.

de_dust doesn't work in TF2, its just pants (I believe thats local slang for rubbish)

I have always used pants as just a funny nonsense word that doesnt make sense in any context. Although my favorite usage has been in one of the Zero Punctuation Yahtzee reviews where he calls people "Pants on head retarded".

BoneS

Dec 12, 2007
I heard that Cp_wolf was a remake form QW:Enemy Terriories so that's how I got the idea. If that could work, why not de_dust?
Ctf or cp?

I know this is very off topic, but cp_wolf was originally a Return to castle wolfenstein map not Enemy Territory dont tar it with that brush! :mad:

The reason why cp_wolf (and my map cp_beach :p ) work is because RTCW was a class based teamwork oriented game, very similar to TF2 :)

Dust 2 would be popular just because it Dust2, but perhaps with some additions like extra routes and rooms plus more multi level situations it could be good.

ryodoan

Resident Bum
Nov 2, 2007
ooooh, cp_beach!! I remember that map from Return to castle Wolfenstein and i loved it, i need to find a TF2 server running it now...