Day Z

Tarry H Sruman

Large Orphanage Proprietor
aa
Jul 31, 2011
Part of the fun of the game is that, since there really isn't that much to do, it leaves everyone to their own devices and lets then come up with their own things to do. Look up some of the videos on youtube where people set up refugee camps, take hostages, etc. for great examples of this.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Checking back in, played it all day with a friend who knew what to do, had a pretty great time. A lot of the mechanics need a fair bit of work, but once you know what you're supposed to do it is a lot more enjoyable.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Just don't be like Dark and think, "hey I'm going to walk up to a group of well armed strangers and ask if I can join their group" and then believe they are cool with that and won't shoot you and loot your corpse.

Rikka

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 10, 2009
Important notice: Terwonick and my brother are the two worst bandit/murders. Ever.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
I would like to point out that this game, however buggy, is really fun with people. Especially when Tarry follows a loaded V3S on a bike then steals it while the dude is in the bathroom.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
It was a lot of fun for a while, but after a while you reach the point where there's not a lot left to do, aside from becoming a sadistic asshole.

Hopefully they add some more stuff to do after you get a camp up.

Still worth playing though.

Kengon

L1: Registered
Jul 4, 2012
Day Z started out as a really cool concept, but they're taking the realism a little too far for my tastes.

When you spawned with a weak gun and could talk to the entire server, it felt more like a game, but it was much more fun. Without these things, you spend the first 30 minutes trying to find a gun and running through countryside. Even with a crowbar, you're basically a walking meal for zombies.
Playing co-op is the most fun, but annoyingly difficult to initiate. If you spawn on other sides of the map (which always happens) then it'll take upwards of an hour to meet, and the removal of the suicide button makes that an eventuality. They should implement a group option, so you can spawn closer to your friends, at least.

Their realism is a bit wacky too - it's a zombie apocalypse, and you manage to leave your house with a backpack, a flashlight and some other things; but no friends, food, or any sort of weapon. That wouldn't be my first instinct.

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
Have played it with a friend. It is preety interesting, after you have things like trucks and good weapons, it turns on to psychology. The society has colapsed, and only a few people have survived. If you can control a building, you're safe for a night. If you can control an industrial zone, you're safe for a week. If you can control an hospital, you're safe unless you run out of ammo. But if you control a city... You are safe for a month. There is no mid-term; what the players do is the outcome of the game.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Doug just txted me and the truck is gone :c

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Have played it with a friend. It is preety interesting, after you have things like trucks and good weapons, it turns on to psychology. The society has colapsed, and only a few people have survived. If you can control a building, you're safe for a night. If you can control an industrial zone, you're safe for a week. If you can control an hospital, you're safe unless you run out of ammo. But if you control a city... You are safe for a month. There is no mid-term; what the players do is the outcome of the game.

This isn't entirely true. Because of the current nature of the game, guns are far more important than food or medical aid.

The game consistantly divulges into find the superior gun drop spots and then camp them from a rooftop (only accessable by ladder), or block the doorways with barbed wire so it's literally impossible to enter the building until the server is reset.

90% of games i've witnessed through friends playing or gameplay video's on youtube have resulted in some bandit holding out a city single handedly with an enfield/sniper from some rooftop. This is literally the only fun thing about the game. Trying to kill the sniper (usually through 6+ attempts to assault the city) or being the sniper. The zombies are like a side novelty aspect of the core gameplay which is completely besides the point of the entire game.