Day / Night Cycle

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Peppermint Gryphon, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Peppermint Gryphon

Peppermint Gryphon L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
  2. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Probably a combination of fake cubes in the skybox to toggle on and off/change skin and mutiple light_environments to toggle between

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  3. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:

Wait that's possible?

I have to experiment with that...

4. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Light environments inheret almost everything a light_spot can do, including being named and turned on/off with inputs. You just need to disable smartedit and add the keyvalues manually. They will of course greatly increase your lightmap data if you have more than one though,

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Izotope

aa Izotope Never releases maps

Positive Ratings:
    That map actually uses just one light_environment.
    It messes with fog and sun to create this illusion, in addition to a skybox model that changes its skin.

6. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    How does rad work? Does it take one set of readings for all lights on and then another set of readings for lights out?

7. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Nope! For each face it computes the visible lights (grouped by name) and compiles a lightmap for each permutation of the visible lights. It maxes out at 2 lights per face, not counting static lights.

8. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    wow are you serious? Plenty of people told me it would cause compile errors to have two light_enviroments and even the Valve Developer wiki implies this: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Light_environment

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Now I wonder if CS:GO's recent lighting changes (which, if I've read the description right, splits the first bounce commit from light_environment from all other light commits) do this as well, or if they actually have the ability to overlay one lightmap on top of another.

10. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    It does cause some funky things, in my experience the ambient light colours blended together instead of being compiled seperately, but there definitely can be multiple.