Datalab

russtolium

L1: Registered
May 27, 2008
A little history on this map:

I released an earlier version of this map about 5 months ago that has since been archived, and so the cycle begins anew. At the time of release, I had worked on it for close to a year, its development cycle being a harsh lesson in map scope spiraling wildly out of control. It is my first Source map, and the only map I've created aside from an Unreal Tournament map I made eons ago.

I read the helpful feedback from the community and decided it was time to take a break. A few weeks ago, I figured I'd act on that feedback and deliver what will be the final version of the map. It's by no means a perfect map and probably won't win many art awards, but it was built with a high level of improvisation, so it is what it is.

The old map had you fighting over a central control point which, when captured, allowed you to steal an enemy's intelligence placed inside their base. As several people pointed out, this made the rather substantial amount of alternate paths and side routes fairly useless, not to mention the spawn points were too far from the center point, resulting in too long a wait to get to the action.

The first thing I changed was scrapping the CTF gameplay and focusing on control points, as a map of this size tends to lend itself more to that gametype in the first place. Second, both teams start out spawning next to the center building, making the trip to the center action much shorter.

Now, when a team captures the center point, the other team is forced to respawn back at their base to defend their control points. The team must capture side control points A and B and, when they both are secure, C. Think of it like gravel pit, but either team can attack or defend.

That's pretty much it. I appreciate any feedback you all have, though this is definitely the final version of the map unless I goofed on the respawn logic or something that can be fixed quickly. Take it for what it is and hopefully have fun!

Last edited:

DaFatCat

L3: Member
Apr 19, 2009
I like it, it seems different. I can't say much else unless i download it :p

FreeLance_FoX

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 6, 2008
I always loved your art-style and unique base designs when this was a ctf map, but I'm hoping sincerely that this version improved on the very poorly-paced gameplay from before. It SOUNDS like an amazing conversion, to say the least, so I hope that if it plays well you'll go all the way and put out a complete final version.

I'm going to hop in and walk around it now! <333

-FoXy

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
This map is gigantic, I tried to play it as a heavy on a 32 man server, And it took me 3 minutes to even find an opponent, who also looked like he was lost (I died and had to to another long ass walk).

The map is not overscaled. There's just too much of it. The action is spread all over the place and its not very intense.

It looks good and it got nice lighting (the parts that I saw).

russtolium

L1: Registered
May 27, 2008
Hah, thanks for the feedback. I sort of figured that would end up being the case in a real game scenario. I think my initial misunderstanding of appropriate size for the type of map I was building probably caused me to make one map that could probably be three. It's nice to hear that someone has at least played it on a server though, haha.