Danger

Ezekel

L11: Posh Member
Dec 16, 2008
Danger b1
Warning!!

currently available in Strawberry Beta flavour!

And the fight continues in yet a new area. Two research facilities testing out possible new weapon systems, only to discover that they are situated right next to each other.
With the bases so close together, even the setting of the sun doesn't offer any solace for either team. Although most are just wishing for a good night sleep, the fact is it's far too dangerous to lower their guard.

changelog:

b1: initial release.

Last edited:

Nutomic

Feb 7, 2009
attachment.php

You should clip these stairs, because you always have to jump to get onto, annoying.

attachment.php

Nodraw fail

Besides that, as already mentioned ingame, the lighting is a bit strange, no real shadows, feels a bit fullbright-ish.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
The predominate feeling with this map is that the layout is far too complicated and unintuitive. Let's take a look at some examples.

When you spawn, you spawn facing the intel room which is fine but taking either exit leads you away from it when players will assume that at least one of the exits will lead straight ahead. [1]

This area lacks ANY flow. [3] It is essentially a room with several props placed seemingly randomnly into the room creating a sort-of mini maze making it difficult to navigate and to see where enemies go once they take cover. Take the following examples which show the view that players are presented with upon entering the room. [4] [5]
Neither indicate where the player has to go because of the mass of props in the middle blocking visibility to the exit out of the base. This is completely unintuitive! Look at Doublecross for instance. [DC 1] [DC 2] You walk into the room and signs are immediately visible telling you where to go. Doublecross also has obstacles in the middle of routes but they are placed in such a manner that navigating around them is simple. [DC 3]

This section is quite odd. [6] What's up with the open ledge? If an enemy is on the top floor within the main lobby and they see you taking the low path (that leads to the door in the bottom-right hand corner of this screenshot) then all they have to do is walk back through the exit on the far left and jump down on the person making that route useless.

These doors are a god-send for snipers. You simply stand in a spot, wait for one of the doors to open then snipe their heads off. In the time it takes for the door to open and for the enemy to realise you're there, it's too late and they're on their back. I suggest you completely remove the dynamic door and move the door frame to the side at a right-angle like so. [7] Then change the following in the main lobby. [8]

And, finally, get rid of the team-specific arrows. They're not placed correctly. BLU arrows in BLU base should lead BLU out of their base and for the RED team it's the same deal. Oh, you need some gameplay signs as well. Otherwise it's a matter of chance that people will stumble upon the intel room instead of following labelled signs clearly indicating where everything is.

Last edited:

Ezekel

Dec 16, 2008
ok with the spawn room - i wanted players to get a glimpse of the flag room without forcing them to run through it. - i'll probably end up with a superior result if i just have them face the other way instead.
i'm not too keen on a direct path to the intel room itself (from the current spawn) as that would send players in the wrong direction if they exitted via that path.
alternatively i may decide to shift the spawn room to behind the flag room + to one side (so one exit can be to the adjacent corridor and one to the flag room to prevent spawncamping problems)

the props in the central room:
i admit i did end up going a lil over the top there with plopping them down. the staircase on wheels + cargo container were more experimental spur of the moment then anything else. and i agree they take up too much space and break things up too much as a result.
edit: honestly i'm not sure what possessed me to do it now, since my original goal was to keep that area fairly open to make use of the different heights.

i never thought of that about the open ledge. think that i probably should change that quite a bit. - this also offers further support for considering making changes to the spawn room location though.

i really like your suggestion for the upper exits. - that sounds like a very good idea. - i was toying with using the 2fort sniper fences on the corners too to further break up the sightlines. - course that won't work with the "theme" as it currently stands, but that's alright as that was just placeholder.
besides it might be fun to do a 2fort-themed theme.

i thought you use arrows to point towards the flag not away from it... whoops. i'll fix that up for sure. - and i did notice i'd forgotten the gameplay signs such as "battlements" and "resupply" etc

i also need to make the water deeper i believe, since i've been told even crouching in it doesn't put out fire.

Last edited: