1. On August 16th at 9pm CST, the site will be put in to read only mode for maintenance. Maintenance should not take longer than an hour.

Dancing Demomen

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kill_the_Bug, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hi,

I'm trying to build in some humour into my map - trying to find out how I can do it but doesn't seem to be working so far but here it is.

1. I have a boat - follows boatpath - on my lake - it's not moving when map starts - I want to make it static it just goes round and round the track - do I select the flag tf1 tracktrain? What's that flag for anyways? How do I get it to start?

2. On the boat on the bow at the point I have a medic, in the center I have a demo and and the back I have a heavy. When selecting the model I use taunt 08 so that they do the funky dance move. Problem is when round starts they are just dead bodies. I mean if it comes to a worse case sceanrio the dead bodies will also work. How do I insert the models and still get them to dance?

3. Now with regard to two I didn't see the "Parent" option so I tried to add it in via the smart edit - will this work to link them to the train?

My goal is to have a boat with dancing men on it going around in the middle of a raging battle to add some humour into the map :p

2. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's for half-life 1 compatibility, probably shouldn't use that flag, ever. To make it start you use another entity (logic_auto for example) to send it a starttrain input.

If it's not there, probably not. What kind of entity did you use anyway ?

3. Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    Prop_ragdoll

going to try prop_dynamic now

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. TheKieranator

TheKieranator L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Prop_ragdoll? Well that's why! You need prop_dynamics, parented to the boat, and with the default animation set to whatever animation it is you want.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for that - I have used the prop_ragdoll for the bodies floating in the water - sounds creepy I know but it looks cool.

My other issue is that the boat snaps to the path - in the reverse direction - and stays put - it won't move - any ideas on that?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  6. Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    Loc_n_lol and Keiranator - I just wanted to gie you big thank you for your help on this!

I now have my boat working on the tracktrain - on the boat I have a dancing medic, heay, demo and pyro. - they all take a nice boat trip around the lake!

7. Wander

Wander L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Animating class props give ping issues, i posted here how to fix that

summary:

8. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    and so do very many prop_ragdolls. actually not ping, just lag.