Dam

JoshuaC

L420: High Member
Sep 2, 2008
In trying to make a different map I ended up creating some pretty decent looking cliffs that were just screaming to be used in something.

In this payload map RED finally get's it's chance to be the attackers for once. You start off in the dam and push the cart through the canyon to an ending stage which I haven't yet come up with. I'm thinking possibly a BLU dam.

It's only got a few days of work into it and yes I do know it's a little open and the cliff textures suck. Nothing on the dam is final but I'm open to any crits you guys have.

Last edited:

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
The cliffs look pretty cool, I reckon you should have water near the end of the track there under the drains to make it look even better:p

Anyway it does look too open, add some buildings perhaps; and its a bit strange to have red attacking- generally it just confuses people.

JoshuaC

Sep 2, 2008
The cliffs look pretty cool, I reckon you should have water near the end of the track there under the drains to make it look even better:p

Anyway it does look too open, add some buildings perhaps; and its a bit strange to have red attacking- generally it just confuses people.

The water is definitely coming. Once I start detailing things out it'll be the first thing I add. The openness will be dealt with as I fill it in with more stuff and details.

Beamos

L2: Junior Member
May 14, 2008
Oooh man, this'd look awesome if you can hack in some beautiful huge gushing water outlets somewhere on the dam, or perhaps turn what you have into a side part of the damn with everything overlooking a valley which the dam lets water into. Oh man, that would look amazing!

(Sorry, sucker for dramatic vistas :p)

Aesthetically, the dam itself is looking a little plain. Perhaps take a look at the stretch between caps 1 and 2 on pl_badwater, the right side. You'll notice how the devs broke up an otherwise rather monotonous piece of concrete by varying the surface a bit. If you could manage that for the dam, it would help improve its visuals drastically.

From a gameplay perspective, I know that you have only released one screenshot with no download available, but it doesn't look like there is any side path red players can take to get around the enemies, which I feel is an important tool needed to keep the first stretch of a PL map nice and easy for the attackers. ;)

JoshuaC

Sep 2, 2008
Oooh man, this'd look awesome if you can hack in some beautiful huge gushing water outlets somewhere on the dam, or perhaps turn what you have into a side part of the damn with everything overlooking a valley which the dam lets water into. Oh man, that would look amazing!

(Sorry, sucker for dramatic vistas :p)

Aesthetically, the dam itself is looking a little plain. Perhaps take a look at the stretch between caps 1 and 2 on pl_badwater, the right side. You'll notice how the devs broke up an otherwise rather monotonous piece of concrete by varying the surface a bit. If you could manage that for the dam, it would help improve its visuals drastically.

From a gameplay perspective, I know that you have only released one screenshot with no download available, but it doesn't look like there is any side path red players can take to get around the enemies, which I feel is an important tool needed to keep the first stretch of a PL map nice and easy for the attackers. ;)

I plan on purtying up the dam when I start adding details. Right now I just wanted to get something visual going to show off the start of the map.

I'm still fleshing out most the level but I'll definitely have multiple passages all around.

Zanpa

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 17, 2009
Will you keep the name "Dam" ?

Anyway, I think the final explosion on such a map must be amazing ; a dam exploding out and water flooding the area (I don't even know how this would be possible, but hey).

Good luck !

Feb 14, 2008
You got a lot to live up to, good luck ;)

Zizi

L1: Registered
Jun 5, 2009
Wow, nice!

I've had some notes and sketches laying around for a dam-oriented payload map myself(seems like a natural sort of choice), but my roughs don't look nearly as good as this does.

evanonline

Mar 15, 2009
Oh man, I was working on a dam map too but you've got it beat just by those screens alone, haha.

Looks nice!

AntonJ3000

I am inactive and make horrible maps
Oct 29, 2008
I saw this map in the Facepunch thread, looks alot better in alpine style.
But to be honest the dam itself dosen't blend in good with the rocks.

but I'm open to any crits you guys have.

*grabs Rocket Launcher*

JoshuaC

Sep 2, 2008
I saw this map in the Facepunch thread, looks alot better in alpine style.
But to be honest the dam itself dosen't blend in good with the rocks.

*grabs Rocket Launcher*

Yeah I'm most likely gonna use a different rock texture later on and hopefully that will make it blend a bit more.

Anyway, I think the final explosion on such a map must be amazing ; a dam exploding out and water flooding the area (I don't even know how this would be possible, but hey).

Good luck !

I've got a nice finale planned for the end stage. And yes there will be flooding.

Sgt.Sausage

Dec 5, 2008

Good luck !

YES!! even if you couldn't do it i am sure people would help you as with cashworks i no eeri got alot of help with the vault explosion, and look how great that it.

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
mmmmm...I'd advise against making red the attackers. In the end, it's up to you, but there's some common wisdom that blu attacks/red defends, and a lot of players come to expect it

Anyhoo, looking really good so far, I'll keep an eye on this

RallY

L1: Registered
May 13, 2009
i swear i made the same map done, seeing this made me delete everything i made. good job by the way