Cylinder question

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Ninjilla, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Ninjilla

Ninjilla L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Speaking from a visleafs perspective, how messy can half a cylinder brush be? I have my point on it and it extends a bit into a regular rectangle platform, but I dont know how many sides I want it to have. 32 Looks the nicest, but It wouldnt be the friendliest number of sides. Usually how many sides looks nice to a cylinder brush to make it look smooth without killing performance?

If pics are needed, can do!

2. Drexer

Drexer L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Depends on the scale and location. Pics would be nice. You do not want to compile with a world brush cylinder though probably. Turn it into func_detail.

3. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I use around 6 on buildings when rounding corners. For a cap platform look at coldfront. I believe it's 16 sides.

4. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    I really recommend using subdivided displacements as cylinders, but in this case, func_detail would work best (mostly because you'd spend hours perfecting your floor with displacements.) But please, when you're nearing the end of your development, get a model made to replace it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    In cases where a rounded corner needs to be a world brush, it's effects can be minimized by making a square corner around it with hint brushes, keeping the leaf splitting contained.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  6. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    16 is nice for cutting, as it can be clipped into halves, quarters, eights and sixteenths, plus it looks nice. If you can, use a displacement as it will be smoother, but it may warp textures slightly.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    Personally I find a 32 side cylinder with a smoothing group applied to be the smoothest option that's also easy to keep on the grid. Just func_detail the whole thing to keep it performing well.

That's what I used to make this at no real performance cost:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: four hundred and forty fourth post! :D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  8. Ninjilla

Positive Ratings:
    Alright guys, thanks for the quick answers. I think I can func_detail it and surround it by nodraw on the backsides (but if I do that, I may as well displace it). Speaking of which...

How could I make a 64 unit high half cylinder with displacements easily? :x

9. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Take three square brushes, stack them on top of each other, select the outside faces of each brush that isn't the top or bottom faces and subdivide them. Delete the top and bottom brushes. Select two of the faces and destroy them, then rotate. Don't ask for floors.

10. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
  11. Boylee

aa Boylee pew pew pew

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Ninjilla

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, I was gonna say I need floors for the point to sit on :p