Cyclone

h3r1n6

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 7, 2009
Hi,

I am making a map using the cyclic control point idea.

Currently I just want to show the concept and get some feedback. It isn't really playable (at least not how I inteded it to be), since my defender doors don't work, which give a shortcut between two points owned by one team. If you have a good grasp of hammers logic system, I asked for help in this thread:
Door with condition - TF2Maps.net

What I need to do:
-easy to understand.
-initiative for players to attack and defend
-balanced for all classes
-reduce stalemates to a minimum

What I want to do:
-make every point play differently, but at the same time keep a balance between the points

For making it easy to understand I rely on a couple of design choices. Going clockwise means attacking, counterclockwise defending. Every point is in an open area (with buildings), connected by smaller passages. I will add signs to help players find their way. This will hopefully help every player get to where he wants to go.

The second point is directly connected to the first. But in order to make holding 3 points possible, I need to create shortcuts for defenders. For doing this right I currently try to get those doors working.

Class balance is an obvious goal, but as of a1 a bit too early to deeply go into this.

For helping against stalemates the points can't be too easy too attack, or else both teams would capture one after another. At the same time they cant be too easy to defend, because they wouldn't be cappable.
If it is too hard to cap all the points, I may need to think of another victory condition. If it is possible, it might be good to bind a koth timer to holding 3 control points. This doesn't make the map more complicated, as the objective is still to just cap the points, but at the same time drastically reduces stalemates.

So thats it, I haven't decided on a theme yet, but it will probably be desert.

Credits:
-Hovis for the idea and for the ccp_mechanics, which I used as a template for this
map
-Rexy for his rock pack

Last edited:

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
I'm gonna tell you right now, Point A would be dominated by a really good sniper (I), it needs more cover.
also, what about the middle cross path? is it a tunnel system or just a building? Either way it looks engie/pyro friendly

I like the layout and slopes and the lighting is great, keep it up ^^

h3r1n6

Sep 7, 2009
The stuff you see in the middle are the spawnrooms, which change to the next one, everytime you cap a point. I actualy had a sort of tunnel system in the middle in my last sketch and made a block for it at first. I decided not to include it, because it would make the map more complicated, while not adding much.

The dev textures are obvious placeholders :p

Zanpa

Jan 17, 2009
You could have used other textures than orange... Like, using grey for floors, reds and blues for walls. So you can tell wether you're looking at your feet or right in front of you.

h3r1n6

Sep 7, 2009
You could have used other textures than orange... Like, using grey for floors, reds and blues for walls. So you can tell wether you're looking at your feet or right in front of you.

Good idea, I'll do that for a playtestable version.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Looks good cant wait for this to advance even though i like this version.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
I think you should try and put some cover around cap A as well as making it bigger. Just like Gravelpit cap A.

honeymustard

L9: Fashionable Member
Oct 26, 2009
I think the concept lends itself to pubbies deathmatching instead of following the objective, regardless of how clear you make it. Still, the map looks interesting at the moment.

h3r1n6

Sep 7, 2009
I think the concept lends itself to pubbies deathmatching instead of following the objective, regardless of how clear you make it. Still, the map looks interesting at the moment.

This is not a ctf map :).

On a more serious note, if everyone chooses to attack or everyone chooses to defend, yes there is nothing I can do about that. But then it won't be a deathmatch in both cases. All attacking simply means a capping race and all defending a stalemate.
I think you can compare it to both kinds of regular cp maps in terms of how much it is objective based. The cps are on the path you take. If you ignore the cps on badlands you you will do it here. But that really isn't my concern.
If I can do it right, it will play like a/d meets 5cp.

And thanks for the feedback on A, I've reworked that a bit already. I have more plans for all of the points, I'll see how much I do for a2.

h3r1n6

Sep 7, 2009
a2:
-defender shortcut doors now opening and closing, depending on who owns the cps
-game timer updates when a cp is captured
-small updates to layout of A and B

The doors now open when one team has the two control points it connects, and closes if the cps are owned by one of the teams each. On the start of the round, the doors to the neutral points are closed for the attackers, but the shortcut from their point to the neutral point the other team has to attack is open.
This gives the defenders the option to either take the time to set up or to try and keep the opponents from capping their second point.

h3r1n6

Sep 7, 2009
a3:
-changed texture of the ground, to make map playable
-layout changes to all cp areas

h3r1n6

Sep 7, 2009
a4:
-changes to game logic for playability
-more small layout changes

I think the map is playable now, it needs textures and testing next.