Water "Powerup"

Texture Custom Water Material "powerup" 1.1.1

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Ooooooooh, real-time reflections. Me gusta.

Werewolf

Probably not a real Werewolf
aa
Apr 12, 2011
The download link for this item on the new tf2maps site leads to an empty download. The download link on the archived site does still work, presumably because it links to a Dropbox source.

But the download is still great none the less, I do love using this water!

LadyRaee

CHEERFULLY SUICIDAL
Sep 1, 2012
"7-Zip cannot open this file as an archived folder" I think dl is broken or my PC is.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
Hey can you show how you make it? Im interesed on making custom water and i wanted to know how to do it. BTW, cool water!

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
You just have to extract all the files from the game and edit the values.
The files are in tf/tf2_misc_dir.vpk so you will need GCFScape to open it. Once you have that opened, navigate to materials/water and find the water files that are closest to what you want to create. In my case it's water_well, water_well_beneath, water_well_dx80 and water_well_beneath_dx80. Copy these to tf/materials/water and rename them. In my case I replaced "well" with "powerup". Open the files in notepad and make sure to edit the name sof the other files that are being mentioned. Now change values like "$fogcolor" to whatever color you want. The color format is a simple RGB going from 0 to 255.
If you can't get it to work, ask somebody for help. Water materials can get a little confusing to work with.

TMB

Banned
Jun 7, 2015
You just have to extract all the files from the game and edit the values.
The files are in tf/tf2_misc_dir.vpk so you will need GCFScape to open it. Once you have that opened, navigate to materials/water and find the water files that are closest to what you want to create. In my case it's water_well, water_well_beneath, water_well_dx80 and water_well_beneath_dx80. Copy these to tf/materials/water and rename them. In my case I replaced "well" with "powerup". Open the files in notepad and make sure to edit the name sof the other files that are being mentioned. Now change values like "$fogcolor" to whatever color you want. The color format is a simple RGB going from 0 to 255.
If you can't get it to work, ask somebody for help. Water materials can get a little confusing to work with.
Ok, many thanks!

Zaenoch

L1: Registered
Jan 7, 2016
I have a odd bug where the top of the material wont show up in game (leading to invisible water unless you are inside it)

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
I have a odd bug where the top of the material wont show up in game (leading to invisible water unless you are inside it)

Oh, that's usually caused by leaks, portal errors, or many other things because Hammer is crap. Try looking for leaks, or placing a hint brush the size of the water directly above the water.

Zaenoch

L1: Registered
Jan 7, 2016
Oh, that's usually caused by leaks, portal errors, or many other things because Hammer is crap. Try looking for leaks, or placing a hint brush the size of the water directly above the water.
Thank you for the assistance, the map is in its early stage and i was wondering why it was happening, the skybox is quite large, could also be causing it?