(Custom Texture WIP) My First Scifi Texture

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by bazola, Feb 23, 2008.

1. bazola

bazola L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I got interested in a couple programs and put together this texture. Not sure what to call it so I'm calling it "Organic/Scifi" at the moment.

Ive got some screenshots here:

Some screenshots inside a test map
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The texture itself
    [​IMG]

I'm just looking for general feedback. My goal would be to make a handful of scifi textures for an upcoming map, so this is just a starting point for me.

2. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    a few things -
    For TF2 your normal map looks way too extreme
    Its way too repeated
    What even IS it?

3. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    It looks like something that is better suited to a dark interior. A tad repetitive. I like that it has the appearance of not being just a flat surface. Not sure it fits the TF2 theme though, would probably have to see it in context and along with your other sci-fi textures.

I'm looking forward to seeing what else you put together.

4. oxy

oxy L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nice effort. I am not sure what it is supposed to be though. I would read through this Illustrative Rendering (Making of TF2) to see how Valve achieved their artistic look.

Hope this helps.

..oxy..

5. Spacemonkeynz

Spacemonkeynz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Reminds me of the inside of the alien spaceship in alien.

6. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Scaled up, tinted green and applied to some funky displacements yes thats exactly what I thought of.

7. bazola

bazola L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you for the feedback guys. In hindsight I posted this too soon. I've made 4 textures after this one and I'm pretty sure that each of them are better. It is very difficult to make textures in the TF2 style.

What I was originally thinking was a semi organic wall section having something to do with electronics. Unfortunately it seems that the only place this texture would look good is as the ceiling of a dark room :)

But again, thank you for the input