custom terrain destruction (payload)

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
Valve's site gives you the basics on how to make an exploding pit but it does not cover custom terrain destruction.

Is there a tutorial out there that shows you how to build a custom explosion scene for your map?

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
Yup, thanks, I see it now. But I'm not gonna pay for that program and my god it seems like a ton of work for what equates to a few seconds of ending glory. For real, the explosion happens and is over with in seconds. Seems like a ton of work for just a few mere seconds of the map's play cycle.

Is there a different tutorial on how to build ending explosions using stock TF2 stuff? I mean, Valve's site does cover that to some degree but it mostly is all about a pit with barrels in it. Anything regarding exploding or collapsing props around the end explosion, like conveyors and stuff? Maybe something on blowing up world brushes completely to reveal a pit made of displacement, but not using models?

Open Blade

Nov 30, 2007
Damn, I was hoping you could keep the displacement pit from Badwater and the destroy brushes (to reveal the pit after explosion) but the animated models blowing up (the concrete block) is sorta the backbone to those brushes being destroyed. It would look odd without that, to have the brushes just disappear. Unless you did something similar to how a func_breakable animates and maybe a sprite but no sure what that would look like or if it would work. That doesn't seem like it would be too much work though, compared to building custom animated models. To have that pit revealed after explosion would be cool. On func_breakable you can control how many gibs it breaks into to optimize performance but you could lower that if you build several jacked edges within your brushwork (essentially making it of many smaller pieces) but I wonder if you can control the direction of it breaking from an input.

Last edited:

Mexican Apple Thief

L3: Junior Member<br>LEAD FARMER
Aug 23, 2008
Damn, I was hoping you could keep the displacement pit from Badwater and the destroy brushes (to reveal the pit after explosion) but the animated models blowing up (the concrete block) is sorta the backbone to those brushes being destroyed. It would look odd without that, to have the brushes just disappear. Unless you did something similar to how a func_breakable animates and maybe a sprite but no sure what that would look like or if it would work. That doesn't seem like it would be too much work though, compared to building custom animated models. To have that pit revealed after explosion would be cool. On func_breakable you can control how many gibs it breaks into to optimize performance but you could lower that if you build several jacked edges within your brushwork (essentially making it of many smaller pieces) but I wonder if you can control the direction of it breaking from an input.

You can make the gibs travel in direction of the force, yeah. The problem is all of them have HL2 textures. Plus I can never seem to get the right amount of gibs.

Cameron:D

L6: Sharp Member
Sep 28, 2008
You could be lazy and make something out of func_physbox. Attach them to a phys_constraint so they dont move, then when you want the asplode the pit, break the constraint, unfreeze the physbox and fire off an env_explosion
And you get something like:

(After hacking the walls into a bajillion pieces)