Custom soundscapes, game-sounds and particles

MOCOLONI

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 16, 2014
Hi. I'll soon be updating two of my maps in which the above files are present. One only uses a custom soundscape file, while the other map will be using custom particles, as well as a custom file that redefines an existing sound (and its properties) in one of the "game_sounds_*.txt" -- I don't know how to call those.

So, the thing is that I don't know of a proper way to make them work, although this "dirty" method seems to have worked: extracting "soundscapes_manifest.txt", removing all the soundscapes and only adding the custom one used by the map. Since I use BSPZIP to pack content, the modified "soundscapes_manifest" file is renamed so I add it to the .BSP with the proper name and it doesn't corrupt ambient sounds in other maps. I'm pretty sure this isn't the way it has to be done, so I'm wondering what I should actually do.

The other map uses custom particles and a text file in which "sound names" are present, overriding the default ones for SFX reasons. There was a thread in this forum in which someone suggested using the "mapname_particles.txt" method (out of all 3 possible) for custom particles, and it seems to work just fine. As for the custom sounds, I re-used the method from a map I made 3 years ago, which is including the 'sound names' and their parameters in "mapname_level_sounds.txt".

I'm unsure about any of the methods specified, so I'd like someone to correct me on them.

TL;DR: I'm looking for the best way to pack custom soundscapes, particles and gamesound files, without altering the game's "*_manifest.txt" files.

Mar 23, 2013
Overriding game files is often not the best idea, as it can carry over to the next map that is played. So for the sound, it's best to use the mapname_level_sounds.txt. Only copy the soundscripts in you want to change, so you don't need to copy-paste everything from the game_sounds_*.txt files, only the scripts you need to be changed for your map. the file goes into the root/maps folder.

For soundscapes it works similar, you use a soundscapes_mapname.txt and put in custom soundscapes you want to use for your map. You can still use stock soundscapes so no need to put dublicates in there. This file goes into the root/scripts folder.

Yeah and for particles you need that mapname_particles.txt in the root/maps folder.

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
Overriding game files is often not the best idea, as it can carry over to the next map that is played.
As I said, the "soundscapes_manifest.txt" file that only includes the soundscape used by the map is renamed in my "custom" folder so it doesn't take effect (only does so when packing it with BSPZIP, saving it as "soundscapes_manifest" in the .BSP). Renamed in "custom" so it doesn't break other soundscapes.

Only copy the soundscripts in you want to change, so you don't need to copy-paste everything from the game_sounds_*.txt files
That's done already. It currently has 3 soundscripts (if that's the name).

For soundscapes it works similar, you use a soundscapes_mapname.txt and put in custom soundscapes you want to use for your map.
This is the one bugging me the most as I don't know whether I should redefine the "manifest" text folder or just pack the "soundscapes_mapname". As you suggested, gamescripts should use "mapname_level_sounds", and particles "mapname_particles.txt". These files are "unique" so it makes sense they'd work independently, but the soundscapes one is still a trouble for me.

Thanks for the tips!

Mar 23, 2013
Can't you just rename that manifest thingy into soundscapes_mapname.txt and put it in your scripts folder? Pretty much everyone uses custom soundscapes this way, I havn't heard of a different method and I don't quite get your method but maybe I'm overlooking something?

MOCOLONI

Dec 16, 2014
Can't you just rename that manifest thingy into soundscapes_mapname.txt and put it in your scripts folder? Pretty much everyone uses custom soundscapes this way, I havn't heard of a different method and I don't quite get your method but maybe I'm overlooking something?
If I'm not wrong, "soundscapes_mapname" needs to be listed inside "soundscapes_manifest", which is how I currently use custom soundscapes.

Mar 23, 2013
No? All you need is put in your soundscape scripts in the soundscapes_mapname.txt and put that in root/scripts.

Mar 23, 2013
Aren't these intended to be used when you are working on a mod or game instead of a map?