Custom sounds not working when packed [fixed]

Yosh

L1: Registered
Nov 3, 2018
So I've been trying to figure this problem out for a while on my own and I'm stumped.
So basically in my map plr_eruption I have a custom sound called "lavanoise.wav". When I compile it regularly I hear it in game just fine. However, once I pack my map and turn on sv_pure 2 it won't play.

Here's where my sound file is kept
RChFaZW.png

Here's what's packed into my map (I am using VIDE)
tg7P31c.png

• There are no console log errors having anything to do with sound.
  • The ".bsp" is bigger then the ".bsp.backup" so I know things are being packed into it.
  • Other custom things like blends and soundscapes are working in the same packed version (with sv_pure 2 turned on).
  • soundscapes that include "lavanoise.wav" will play all the other sounds normally just without that sound.
  • "alt p" shows nothing out of the ordinary.
  • Other things I've tried that didn't work
    • "snd_restart"
    • move my sound file around to other locations
    • packing the sound file into a different map (still didn't play in the exact same way)
    • renaming and duplicating the sound file
    • I even tried packing a different sound file but not even that one worked
    • (EDIT) tried using pakrat instead of VIDE, doing this changed nothing
If you have any information or similar problems you fixed please help because right now my best guess is computer ghost.

Last edited:

Narpas

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
What entity are you using to play the sound?

Yosh

Nov 3, 2018
I have tried it in both ambient_generic and in a soundscape, the ambient_generic makes no noise while the soundscape will play all the sounds in it except the lavanoise. this is only in the packed version though, the non-packed version plays all of these just fine

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Isn't there some sound cache that you should clear?

Yosh

Nov 3, 2018
I tried doing snd_restart, which does that I believe, but it did nothing. I also tried completely deleting the cache so the game would be forced to make a new one but that also didn't work. Is there a specific time during the packing or compiling process that I need to do one of these?

Yosh

Nov 3, 2018
Ok so good news I guess, the problem has solved itself.
I took a break from this problem for a few days and I just returned to it. I retried packing it and everything and it's just working now. I have no idea why it's working now or what was happening in the first place but now It's working packed, on another computer, with sv_pure 2 turned on so I guess everything is fine now.
Thanks for helping getting rid of the ghosts in my computer.