Custom Props i used dont show up for other Players.

XEnderFaceX

F1 Fan
Aug 18, 2015
Hi,

my map cp_snowgrass has alot of Custom Props, they dont show up for other players... :(
i used VIDE and tried CompilePal but CompilePal dosnt work on my computer for some reason...

why is it still not showing up?

DrSquishy

we've all had better times to die
aa
Feb 10, 2017
Hi,

my map cp_snowgrass has alot of Custom Props, they dont show up for other players... :(
i used VIDE and tried CompilePal but CompilePal dosnt work on my computer for some reason...

why is it still not showing up?
where do you store your custom props? Is it in the tf/custom folder? If they are, VIDE won't detect them when scanning.

Last edited:

Yabayabayaba

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 2, 2016
check if compile pal is blocked by your antivirus, if that does work try opening it inside the zip (or taking it out)

XEnderFaceX

F1 Fan
Aug 18, 2015
okay i opened compilepal, do i just need to compile it now? or what do i have to do to make it that other people see the props?

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
okay i opened compilepal, do i just need to compile it now? or what do i have to do to make it that other people see the props?
Make sure the option at the side labelled PACK is checked (in black). It's also good to check REPACK as well as it'll make your .bsp filesize smaller.

compilepal.png

If it's not shown there, use the ADD button at the bottom (in red) to add it.

XEnderFaceX

F1 Fan
Aug 18, 2015
Dose it not work when i compile with Fast settings? because my map takes like over 7 Days to compile, i dont feel like waiting so long..

BigfootBeto

Party Time 2.0!
aa
Jun 8, 2016
Wow that is NOT a normal compile time. Make sure you properly func_detail things to make sure vvis doesn't literally take 7 days. If vrad is what's hanging up, then don't use dynamic lights and do not name lights. Naming lights makes them dynamic.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
how many numportals has your map got?!

Yabayabayaba

Jun 2, 2016
open your portalfile, via map>portalfile and look bor big clusters of blue lines, (probably staircases and the like) and func_detail the offenders.

DrSquishy

aa
Feb 10, 2017
open your portalfile, via map>portalfile and look bor big clusters of blue lines, (probably staircases and the like) and func_detail the offenders.
once for me, it was as simple as func_detailing a single square brush in the middle of an empty room

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
If vrad is what's hanging up, then don't use dynamic lights and do not name lights. Naming lights makes them dynamic.
That's not what the source engine considers as "dynamic lights". Those are really expensive, since they can move in realtime. It's a pitty that there is no proper name for these switchable lightmap based lights. Not even "switchable lights" is accurate, since it's possible to blend between the two states automatically for animation effects.

Yabayabayaba

Jun 2, 2016
correct me if i am wrong, but naming lights does increase their compile cost though, forcing vrad to make light maps for every combination of lights turned on and off (lights with the same name only require one set and can't be controlled individually). I believe this counts through all light entities, although I am not sure about the basic light.