Custom Powerups?

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Does anyone has a prefab/tutorial for something like custom powerups? Like, you take it and it gives you an Overheal, Damage Resist or a Speed Boost?

I probably wont reply for around >10 hours since I am gonna be sleeping after this, but anyone who can help, thanks! :)

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Not really possible. But you can attempt to fake it using the condition triggers.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
Oh I know that it's impossible without some triggers ad stuff, that's basically what I am asking.

NeonHeights

L1: Registered
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah you would be able to use a trigger_add_tf_player_condition for this, as Henke says.

You could do any of the conditions listed here, set a duration (like of 20 seconds, or 99999 for basically-infinite), and then give the trigger entity an output of: OnTrigger - !self - Disable. You could then add an Enable output on a delay if you want it to be re-enabled thereafter.

This would be your best bet, I believe the OnStartTouch and OnEndTouch of the trigger_add_tf_player_condition dont work properly so you'll have to make a trigger_multiple brush the same size and tell it to disable itself and the tf_player_condition when its touched.

I recreated a couple powerups from Mann-Power using this method with prop_dynamics to represent the spinning/floating powerup, ambient_generics to trigger the touch sound, and a tf_player_condition to force the actual crit-boost or whatever condition on the player for X seconds.

I can send you the vmf if youd like so you can see how I did it

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
I would love a VMF, I really suck at entity work at the moment.

NeonHeights

L1: Registered
Apr 27, 2012
I would love a VMF, I really suck at entity work at the moment.

No problem! The example included in this VMF toggles crits on you for 10 seconds. The power-up disappears (Is consumed) when you touch it, then respawns after 300 seconds (which totals to 5 minutes). The respawn time can be changed in the outputs on the trigger_multiple.

Note the prop_dynamic does absolutely nothing except show where the power up is. You can change it to any other model you'd like or sub it out for a func_brush or something. Its just there for looks. The ambient_generic is just there for added effects. LMK if you have any more questions

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbzj3ogetktt68i/neonheights_critpowerup.vmf?dl=0

EDIT: Just noticed I have a bunch of outputs on the tf_add_player_condition. You can delete all of those! They don't do anything. The only outputs that matter are the ones on the trigger_multiple

Last edited: