Custom materials sometimes not working.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by jahrain, Jan 11, 2008.

1. jahrain

jahrain L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I created a custom vmt file, that references pre-existing textures. However, I noticed that sometimes when testing my map, they don't load and show that nasty pink checkered texture. Its random though. Sometimes they load after compiling with no problems, sometimes they don't. I don't get it. Is there a way to fix this?

I have it saved in "steamapps\<USERNAME>\team fortress 2\tf\materials\convoy\tire_convoy.vmt"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Fraid I don't know much about customs textures and such. Do you have cubemaps anywhere? Also, are you doing a full compile?

3. Noggin

Noggin L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
  4. Intraman

Intraman L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I would say, try exporting the texture you're referancing and change the name and use that one instead.
    See if that works.

5. jahrain

jahrain L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    It has nothing to do with cube maps. The material is just one simple base texture, nothing else, no bump maps, no cube maps, etc. Infact here is the material file:
    Code:
    "LightmappedGeneric"
    {
    	"$basetexture" "Nature/rockground001"
    	"Proxies"
    	{
    		"TextureScroll"
    		{
    			"texturescrollvar" "$baseTextureTransform"
    			"texturescrollrate" 2
    			"texturescrollangle" 0
    		}
    	}
    }

I haven't had the problem very often so far, but it still occurs every now and then after a compile. Usually to get around this issue I have to recompile the map again.