Custom HUD- how to move the CTF "compass?"

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by (s2a) yahodahan, Jul 13, 2009.

1. (s2a) yahodahan

(s2a) yahodahan L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm trying to move the "compass" icon around, the blue/red/grey one that swivels to point toward the flag, ya know? :)

basically, all I want is to move the "grey" neutral flag compass to the same position as the regular blue and red ones, instead of being off to the side.

So far I have deduced/learned that the ".res" files in :...tf/resources/ui" control the HUD elements, and I have found several .res files that seem correct, but none references the compass.

arg!

thanks!

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    You can't alter the base hud components in any way.

3. (s2a) yahodahan

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe I'm thinking of different parts- I've managed to change the HUD a lot already (just by changing referenced VTF and VMT files, and placing them in the correct directories). I've seen people move around their HUD objects as well, things like the health, ammo, etc. Also found where I can change the position of nearly every HUD item, except the flag compass.

I'll take a screenshot tomorrow, so it is more obvious, maybe my posting was confusion.

Thanks for the info!

4. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Changing the UI res files is irrelevant on the mapping level. Those are client files, not something you can control via the map, nor can you make custom ones and tell the map to use those instead. Overriding them by packing customized ones into the BSP is also out of the question, as any such things stay cached and persist to subsequent maps.

The things you've seen are client customizations, much like having a custom player model. It's only for them, not for anyone else, and not map controlled.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. (s2a) yahodahan

Positive Ratings:
    ah. well then.

nevermind. thanks :)

(goes to corner and beats head against wall).