Custom "DTF" gametype- how to make special HUD? Fun idea or not?

(s2a) yahodahan

L3: Member
Apr 22, 2009
Hi all, as always thanks in advance for help-

It seems two of the big issues people are having with the "s2a_Compound" map is the lack of a custom HUD and easy directions- so I want to fix this! The other is optimization, but that's a whole dif story...

The current HUD is just default CTF, which apparently is a little confusing if you try to read it. If anyone out there has thoughts/ideas/advice on how to make a DTF-specialized custom HUD, I would very much appreciate it!

The way Compound works is slightly different than regular CTF, in that there is only one flag, and Blue is ONLY attempting to capture the flag, while Red ONLY attempts to defend the flag. The emphasis is on creatively defending the flag, so we thought "DTF" would be a good short-name... ("defend the flag).

To make things interesting, Red can only pick up the flag at the start of the match, or after it is dropped by a Blue player.

So, Red would want to quickly grab the case, bring it somewhere they want to defend it. Then they could:

A) quickly drop it in a corner or such, and fan out around the building
or
B) Hold onto the flag and possible make a "mobile defense" of it

This ought to lots of fun, and an important strategic decision, for several reasons:

If Red chooses A, it will be easiest to defend. However, once the flag is dropped, it cannot be picked back up, and worse yet, Blue's HUD now points directly to it.

If Red Choose B, it may be harder to defend, but a good scout with several teamates covering him/her could have a great time defending the flag on-the-run. Of course, if the Red flag carrier dies, he drops the flag, and then Red cannot pick it up again.

In a way, the game ought to play out very much like a capture point level, except with moving, unpredictable flags. Exciting! :thumbup:

Thanks all!

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
FYI we have a A/D CTF contest going on right now. There any many maps out there that have already refined (with what we got) a CTF HUD.

(s2a) yahodahan

Apr 22, 2009
wait- do I need to feel like an idiot? please let me know, so that the idiot-feeling can commence if needed.

Is A/D CTF essentially the same as the "DTF" idea?
Can I just change the gametype HUD on whateverentityethatis from "default" to "A/D CTF"?

I get the feeling I'm going to feel very silly, very soon... :p
thanks icarus

(s2a) yahodahan

Apr 22, 2009
ahh, i just re-read that- perhaps I could use the HUD, but the gameplay is def different. No CPs or such in this gameplay...A/D sounds like a TF2 version of Unreal "Warfare" game mode :D good stuff.

off to look at the HUD!

(s2a) yahodahan

Apr 22, 2009
hmm, actually, the HUD looks exactly the same as far as I can tell?

the "Invade" mode is closer to DTF, I think. The only thing different is that only Blue can capture, and they must bring it BACK to their base, not to the enemies base. Should be easy to change those, I hope.

However, that really doesn't solve much... :( ... can those who played the map explain exactly what they found confusing? What exactly is broken about the flag, and how does it make the map "unplayable"? I really believe we have made it very well explained (custom chalkboard, flashing signs, arrows).

You tell me, I'll fix it!

Does anyone know how I could replace the HUD with just a SINGLE flag image, and an arrow pointing from it? If RED, it would say, "The FLAG is over THERE, DEFEND it!", and if BLU, it would say "The FLAG is over THERE, CAPTURE it!". Or something to that effect.

thanks!

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
You can't :p

You also should use Attack/Defend, not invade. Invade has a broken return timer.

(s2a) yahodahan

Apr 22, 2009
man o man, all the brick walls I run into...haha. Actually though, I HAVE been able to change the layout of many items of the HUD, as well as thier image, just by modifying some .vtf and .res files. Am I heading down a dead end though? I seem to be sooo close to having it working!

thanks Icarus :)