Curves with brushes...

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Fraz, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    In a scetion of my map I want a 90 degree curve to lead out and the same on the other side to come in and join at the middle (This removes a section of the room which I may use for the intel) I made it using 19 or 20 brushes.

I started the first one with no rotation, I duplicated it and rotated it 5 degrees and so on. The edges seem to overlap, right now I'm not worried about that. Wehn I try to apply textures everything is different, now I could edit the textures on each of the brushes but thats around 80 brushes I need to edit perfectly I tried to create a brush and use my curve as a guide to cut with, but I can't cut the inside to a curve to make a wall. What I want to know is if there is any way without creating a model or anything like that I can make a curved wall that is one object?

Thanks for any replies, helpful or not :p:p

-midget31394-

2. Acegikmo

aa Acegikmo

Positive Ratings:
    Use the arch tool and texture alignment with the alt+right click texture alignment

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. GrimGriz

GrimGriz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't tackled it yet, but I was thinking the easiest way to do a curve/tunnel might be to do a 90 degree turn and then use displacement thingies to round corners.

:D

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    if you want it really smooth displacements are the way to go.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Ezekel

Ezekel L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    i'd say go for a displacement.
    just remember to put a wall behind it though, because displacements don't stop map leak

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    For just now I've got the walls made, Im not using textures for my map yet so I can get by with what I've got so far I'll need to test the walls when I upload the alpha 1 to test the size of my map, how the rooms feel too large/too small and we'll go from there. I haven't even added a spawn room or ctf flags yet but I think I can be finished with the first test by wednesday (hopefully, just to add a few walls, spawn and flags and some signs) I'll want feedback on the curved walls definetley. I'm hoping to have the final release in 6 months time. I don't want to rush my first ever map, eh?

To sum this post up: THANKS!