Cubemap construction problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dan2025, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Dan2025

Dan2025 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've been trying to add cubemaps to my map arena_skyline, but whenver I try to construct it I run into a problem. I get the following error message, and nothing happens.

Current mod isn't in a subdirectory of "game"!
    *** Error: Skybox vtf files for sky_gravel_01 weren't compiled with the same size texture and/or same flags!
    Can't load skybox file sky_gravel_01 to build the default cubemap!

Can anyone help me understand what this means, and how I can fix it?

2. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    This is an error in every map, and can be ignored. The cubes must be done ingame. Open the console and type sv_cheats 1. Then buildcubemaps. It's just a weird thing with the skyboxes that has been present since HL2.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Silly Valve, breaking their own things and not fixing them.

4. Dan2025

Positive Ratings:
    Oh crap. Does that mean that I've been wrongly assuming that the whole prossess is broken and quitting before all the cubemaps get set up? Darn it! I could have had this whole part of the map done days ago! D:

5. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    The biggest mistakes are always a learning experience :p I guarantee you won't make the same mistake again, lol.

6. Dan2025

Positive Ratings:
    Hold on, I've tried creating Cubemaps again, but I never get any indication that anything is happening after I put in the command to build cubemaps. How do I learn when the process in complete? Or even if it is occurring?

7. Armadillo of Doom

Positive Ratings:
    When you enter 'buildcubemaps' in the console, it will flash very quickly to a small picture, then go between all the different views that the cubes are rendering. Typically takes less than 10 seconds. After that, just zip up your map and you're done :)

8. Altaco

Altaco L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    remember, if you compile with HDR you need more than just the one buildcubemaps command. I believe the proper sequence is something like this:

mat_specular 0
    buildcubemaps
    mat_hdr_level_0
    (reload map)
    buildcubemaps
    mat_hdr_level_2
    (reload map)
    mat_specular 1

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sarah

Sarah L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I've always complied in HDR, built cubemaps, re-complied without and repeated. Seems to work but I'm going to try your way next time thanks Altaco!