CTF_Void

Intraman

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 4, 2007
This is a map I've been working for about maybe 3 weeks to a month so far. It's a standard Capture the Flag type map with some bells and whistles to make things more interesting.

Setting/Theme/Background Story:
Yggdrasil Laboratories has develop a machine that allows them to create a pocket in time-space (kinda like the Tradis from Doctor Who). Instead of using it to store countless items in a seemingly tiny space, they decided to instead use it to create a training facility for their secret. Blah blah, how much back story do you really need for a map? I'll probably alter the story a bit anyway..
It's not like other TF2 maps, it doesn't take place in some industrial farm place or desert area. Instead it takes place in an underground lab where the spawn room is the only part of the lab that you see. In the spawn room there are special little "cubbies" (until I think of a better term) that will literally teleport players into the so-called "void" section of the map. As some extra detail, each team can see the void making machine and the other through the windows in each spawn room.
It was inspired by the Quake 3 type ctf maps that were basically floating platforms in a big black void. Of course I've tried to make my map less sniper friendly and players should find that it's relatively balanced for all classes. Like in Q3, falling into the void will turn you into bloody gibs and return the enemy's flag if you happen to be carrying it.

Completion:
Current Version: a1
Playable: Yes

Basic Blocking: 90% (Pretty much done, but may need some tweaking and alteration)
Lighting: 25% (with Temp lighting in place for the majority of the map)
Texturing: 0% (Mostly just Dev and Temp textures)
Detailing: 5% (Just some bits and piece here and there to help give direction)
Optimization: 0% (I didn't even start this, however the map is relatively small and should not be at all taxing on even older machines)

Things To Come:
~Must fix the round timer so something actually happens when it gets to 0. It was kinda funny when you here the voice count down to 0 and then nothing happens.

~Must add some railings to the outside path ways and make the pill boxes easier to defend.

~Fix the teleporters so you don't flicker between the spawn room and the map. (which is also quite funny)

~Make the fog thicker to help defend from snipers, or add some more cover. (Perhaps moving floating rocks hrmmm)

~Texture/Optimize/etc.

~Add sounds and prehaps even some sort of ambient music.

~Add a lower room/hallway for spies and pyros in each base.

Screens and Download:
As of now you can download the map here.

Here's some screenshots:
Void-001.jpg

This one is from the Red Base tower/Flag Room looking out over the rest of the map.

Void-002.jpg

This is in the Blue's Spawn room. Those inlets near the resupply are the teleporters. Each Room has 6, but you can only see three here.

Void-003.jpg

An overview of the center area of the map. In future version those ramps will be displacements and the bridge in the center of the "pillboxes" will look much more interesting, but for now they just serve a function. The floating rocks can be easily walked acrossed and only require a little jump towards the opposite side that the player is traveling from.

Void-004.jpg

This from the high bridge.

I hope to get a dedicated server up to test this map later once there are people who would like to test it.

Last edited:
H

Haas

that looks complicated I hope you don't use the carve tool ;)
I like the looks of it something difrent is always good and the fog is nice to!

Intraman

Nov 4, 2007
heh the Clip and Vertex tools are my best friends, so no Carve tool used at all.

H

Haas

I tested it and i have no idea if this is playable in a server Because well never played a map like this in tf2.
The only thing that could make this map inbalanced is the soldier because he can blast everone from the blocks.
What is that black box in the green chamber?

Intraman

Nov 4, 2007
If you want to play on the test server the address is: 69.116.31.218:27015
And the black box is suppose to be where the actually is (at least according to the theme heh).

EDIT: Well the test was great! Went on for 3 or 4 hours and I got a lot of good feedback and ideas from it. I'll edit my 1st post with the things I'm gonna update.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Three words...
First two:
Love it

Third:
xen

oh, and one smiley
:w00t:

hacky

L2: Junior Member
Dec 13, 2007
I was in the playtest server for a bit, and for the most part, I like the concept. I can't wait to see the map continue in development.

In initial playtesting, I have a couple of concerns.
- I was able to build teleport entrances in the spawn room (up on the raised area with the windows). If this is intended, that means anything built here is invincible, even though I can only theoretically see teleports built here.
- Make sure that where each teleport spawn leads to is VERY clear. If I run into a pod, I should be facing the pod exit after teleport. I don't remember if this was the case, but I can see new players running around confused after the teleport, it took me a couple spawns to figure out where I was facing after a teleport.

Intraman

Nov 4, 2007
I'm still debating whether or not I should place a nobuild in those areas.
On one hand:
-Being able to place TPs there doesn't fit the theme of the map.
-It makes anything built there invincible.
-It allows engies to defend the spawn room much easier since they don't have to run up and down the stairs.
On the other hand:
-The charge time of teleporters prevents spamming of more offensive engineers.
-There's really no good places to put TP enterances that would survive long enough to be helpful to game play in the actual map. Though this should change in the next version.
-Future versions will have many protected ares that will be specifically designed for TP exits in hopes that engineers will build more in the center areas.

Either way, I'm going to wait till a2 is completed and tested to make an absolute decision.

The spawnroom teleporters may be rearranged for a2, I might place 4,5,6 either in the bottum or turned and against the back wall so its facing the wall people would enter. I'm still not sure how I'll rearrange the 1,2,3 teleporters though. But yeah, I do agree that they need to be a bit more obvious. I know people had alot of trouble even knowing that you're suppose to use them. Of course in later versions they'll look more like teleporters and should, hopefully, be obvious that you're suppose to use them.

EDIT: Oh and my favorite screen from last night is this:
Void-005.jpg

hehe

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
a fellow q3a'er =) I'll be hopping in this one ASAP. Will it be up tonight? i can't wait to try it.

Three words...
First two:
Love it

Third:
xen

Rail **mubble mubble** Gun *mubble mubble**

Intraman

Nov 4, 2007
I suppose I could do another test tonight. I got a lot of information and feedback for it so I was gonna wait til I complete the a2 version, which may be done as soon as a week.

Paddy

L1: Registered
Dec 24, 2007
well doesnt look like ill get to test it as your night time is when im in bed over here in scotland! :(

Intraman

Nov 4, 2007
For a2 I'm gonna add a 3d skybox, however I was wondering if someone could make two quick skyboxes for me. One of all black and another of this color:
skyboxexample.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind. I was able to figure that out through reverse engineering a Valve Skybox texture.

Last edited: