ctf_timbertown

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
Just started this a couple days ago so dont complain about unaligned textures etc :)

It started off as an Arena map but then decided to go CTF.

Its quite an open map, maybe too open. Playtesting is everything.
Ive yet to mirror the bases and have a bunch of displacement editing to do cos I really suck at them.

ctf_timbertown.jpg

Last edited:

MungoKing

L3: Member
Jul 12, 2008
Some of those buildings look copied right out of Sawmill, specifically that brown one. I'd change that... Other than that it's looking good, but as you said it is too open, try buildings to block visibility, that way you'll still be in the theme. And you're using the brighter alpine style, you really should use the brighter alpine colors, not so much the Sawmill themed ones.

As far as your prop problem. In hammer go to Tools->Options then click on the tab that says 3D Views. Slide the Model Render Distance slider up to somewhere around 3000 should be good.

eXeC

L1: Registered
Sep 30, 2008
Oh and you need to setup your detail file so that there is grass detail where the grass textures are.

I did this the other day and it made everything look so much better.

Go to: Map->Map Properties

Then enter these values.

Detail vbsp file: detail_trainyard.vbsp
Detail material file: detail/detailsprites_trainyard

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
Thanks for the tips there, havent used Hammer in a while.

Two of the buildings are from Lumberyard/Sawmill, I dont want to spend time recreating barns and stuff.

MungoKing

L3: Member
Jul 12, 2008
Um, the whole point of mapping is creating your own map. Just copying things from other maps sort of defeats the purpose. Don't copy things from Valve maps. Don't copy things from other peoples maps. Don't copy things into your own map, ever. End of story.

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
Um, the whole point of mapping is creating your own map. Just copying things from other maps sort of defeats the purpose. Don't copy things from Valve maps. Don't copy things from other peoples maps. Don't copy things into your own map, ever. End of story.

Thats your opinion, mine differs.

In my opinion it doesn't defeat the point of mapping, to me its all about the game play.

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
Added download for b1.

To do list:

* Add skybox
* Add spawn exit
* Add more team area coloring
* Add general detail
* Optimize
* May make an arena version

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
ctf_timbertown_b1b improvements:

- Fixed spawn point problems
- Added a new spawn building
- Trees now are mostly player-clipped
- Speed optimised a bit

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
New in Beta 1f:

* Added more health and ammo packs
* Added skybox
* Optimized a bit more
* Increased balcony outside Intel room

To do list:

* Add more team area coloring
* Add general detail
* Optimize more
* May make an arena version

andysss456

L2: Junior Member
Sep 28, 2008
Something tells me you've scared off any commenters due to your lack of care on the whole copy from other maps policy. Even if gameplay is the most important, creating your own environments is just as important to a level designer.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
Well, copying buildings is this weird grey area that I think you could argue either way on being good or bad.

We copy Valve's props straight into our maps; is that somehow more ethical than copying brushes? Why don't we all make our own props if we have to make our own brushes?

I think of it like this: if you copy someone's writing, you're plagiarizing. And if you paraphrase their ideas and don't cite them, it's still plagiarism. So I guess in that strict definition, we are already plagiarizing Valve with our mapping. If I build my own desert themed map with the same design philosophies as Valve's, it's technically plagiarism.

Then there's this example: if I were to use a Valve building as reference, and build my own building that was basically the same with some minor scaling changes, and maybe a few awnings or windows switched around, it's okay and everyone's happy. But if I copy/paste the original building, uh oh, that would be unheard of. But the end results are essentially the same.

It's like this map: those Valve buildings conveniently fit the layout (I assume). If Noggin uses Valve buildings, OH THIS IS BAD! But if he makes his own that's the exact same scale, exact same textures, but with some tiny differences, that's okay? Why?

Personally, I don't copy/paste anything into my map because it looks lazy, and usually it doesn't fit with the map. But... I don't know if I could call it "wrong." Maybe I'd call it lame, but if you want to do it, go right ahead.

Last edited:

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
Copying 2 buildings isnt bad in my book, if that really bothers people then so be it.

Its been well received in the playtests so far, I care more about that than comments.