Beta 4:
-Detail Pass
-Fix Gameplay Issues
-Tutorial Video
Beta 5:
-Final Detail Pass
-Final Gameplay Fixes
-Final Release

I'm really excited, and am almost finished with red's exterior. I have a few more gameplay hiccups to address before it will be completely ready. I'll have some screenshots tommorow (as it's going to compile overnight tonight).

I'm about half way done with Red's Exterior, although there is no 3d skybox yet that'll come in later versions. Anyway just giving you an update and I should be ready to release beta 2 within a matter of 2 weeks at longest.

DJive

Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
a WiP with no wonderful screenshots?!

*GASP!*

Scoobingsthe2nd

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 11, 2007
What I've done so far with the outside of Red's Base. Ignore the Horizon 3d skybox part. I'm gonna come back through and update the 3d skybox in a later beta.
hl22008-03-0311-57-17-15.jpg

hl22008-03-0311-58-00-01.jpg

*edit*
Oh yeah, the sign won't be blank, I'm having difficulties with that right now but later It'll read "red bread"

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
Looking good, I like the outside of the red base where u can see the corn field, not keen on the blue side tho.

The texturing needs a bit of work, the red base uses too much of that wood stack texture.

Also how about opening up the middle section area to let some light in thru the rocks?

Scoobingsthe2nd

Nov 11, 2007
I intend on coming back through with some detailing, though I'm not sure I'm going to touch on very much in terms of texturing on blue.

On red's side I know exactly what you're talking about and that texture is a place holder :) I haven't gotten there yet in my revamping.

What do you mean opening up the middle? like, light shining through the roof?

Crimson

L3: Member
Nov 25, 2007
Man that first screenshot is beautiful. The cornfield really does it for me :)

Bad thing is, it makes blue side look like balls. Not really, but the red side is so well done the blue side does seem a bit lacking.

Scoobingsthe2nd

Nov 11, 2007
Hmm.... Didn't expect that to happen heheh. I may have to come back through and redo blue's base.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I think that the blue would probable look better if you removed that building infront of the dam. Other than that I actually think the blue side looks better than the red side. On both side you have a relatively flat cliff to the right of the shot which needs somespicing up.
The last screenshot looks fine but the no tresspassing signs look a tad stretched.
Second to last - the cliff and ceiling look too flat again and the cliff at the back needs its texture stretching (select all the faces and in the material thing to "treat as one" then fit, then re-adjust the x scale vaue)
The blue inside area looks good, with the exception of another flat cliff wall and a vent model that is doo dark
The first two screens of that red area - You've used that texture far too much there, break it up with some vertical beams.

Scoobingsthe2nd

Nov 11, 2007
Yeah, thanks for confirming that Youme :) I'll probably get rid of that building.

The red side isn't actually done, I was only really looking at the corn field, That texture that I used too much is largely a place holder, but I am going to come back through on the parts where i am using that texture and adding some beams, that'll be in something like beta 4 where I do another detail pass.

I didn't know about that "treat as one" thing. Thanks :)

Thanks for the feedback youme, I appreciate it.

Noggin

Nov 17, 2007
I intend on coming back through with some detailing, though I'm not sure I'm going to touch on very much in terms of texturing on blue.

On red's side I know exactly what you're talking about and that texture is a place holder :) I haven't gotten there yet in my revamping.

What do you mean opening up the middle? like, light shining through the roof?

Yeah, beams of light, like the ones outside of the spawn in 2fort.

I have a yellow gradient vtf/vmf file u want it, i might just put it in the custom textures pack i plan on doing :)

Scoobingsthe2nd

Nov 11, 2007
I'll have to look at that.

I had considered doing that originally but got bored with that room when I was doing it so said I'd come back later to it heheheh

R3dRuM

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
Can you place a sentry on the building on the right when you first get in? Can you get on the roof of the base? those were some of the main bonuses of defending and attacking in the old classic map.

Scoobingsthe2nd

Nov 11, 2007
Sentries on the building yes, on top of the base no. I thought that would be too big of an advantage to demo man and soldiers who already have a lot of terrain bonuses on defense in this map. (Shotting down into the trench, being able to rocket jump out of the trench etc.)

Not to mention in TFC it was different because every class could get up there (with the help of a sniper.) I try to avoid areas that are exclusive to one class that would be a large advantage.

Paria

Dec 12, 2007
i get this error in the red spawn, sure its just a nodraw but thought i'd let you know :)

Scoobingsthe2nd

Nov 11, 2007
Crap!

That must be my skybox going through the ceiling. Can't believe I missed that. Thank you paria....

Too late for me to fix it now :\

I'll definitely fix that in beta 3.

Last edited: