1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

ctf_chaos

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by Vilepickle, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Vilepickle

Vilepickle L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. Gonzales

Gonzales Guest

Positive Ratings:
    Looking good, can't wait to play it. Any idea when you'll release a playable version?

3. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
    Mmmm, might not be a while. Still have to clone the base and do about 4 more detail passes. :)

4. Thriftwood

Thriftwood Guest

Positive Ratings:
    That's a great improvement between the shots. Now people can't say that this is merely a castle clone.

5. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
  6. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    oh god that looks incredible man. Nice work.

7. Apex_

Apex_ L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Vilepickle, you need to stop being so awesome. You'll scare away all the beginners like me ;)

Rock on, that'll make three of your maps on my server (which you haven't stopped by in awhile eh?).

8. dirtyminuth

dirtyminuth L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is becoming a casual thing, isn't it Vile? Making maps look good is quite your forte.

9. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    It doesnt look too chaotic, it looks storybook-picturesque! Love the look of the center tower in chaos2.jpg.

10. jakeparlay

jakeparlay L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    glad to see you indulging yourself in another 'castley' map. I love making them myself, and love playing in them, too. This really looks superb so far!

11. Haas

Haas Guest

Positive Ratings:
    this remind me from the theme park thats here in holland the efteling it is called picture:
    [​IMG]
    There more buildings that match your map but i couldn't find pictures of them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Those screens are incredible, man. Nice work!

By the way, could you tell me which ground texture you're using blending the dirt with the rock? I'm having trouble finding the blended ground textures that actually... you know, work.

13. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    It's definitely pretty. Am I crazy or do those windows seem a little anachronistic? Haas' photo only confirms the feeling for me.

Btw, Castle3 is my favorite custom map. Well done.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
    Jive: They could be considered out of place, but I've been using these reference pics for some of the structures I'm implementing:

http://vilepickle.com/pics/castle1.jpg
    http://vilepickle.com/pics/castle2.jpg

They may be too far away to tell clearly, but it seems like they are pretty generic windows rather than elaborate ones. I think with castles that have been restored this is the case, and that's kind of the feel I'm going for. You'll also find the insides of my bases will be more "modern" and fitting in a somewhat more traditional TF2 style, so it works out well. IE. red is kind of the castle "farm" and blue is the castle's more professional environment (not techy) so they remain distinctly unique and players won't get confused.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Fair enough.

Then I thought maybe it was the lack of muntins, so I wikied for some history. I found the following in particular:
    Muntinless windows look more modern/urban (re:cheap) to me. Of course it's gonna be pretty no matter what. I'm just spinning my wheels here on a boring day. I work at an architectural firm and we tend to save the muntinless windows for the sides of buildings. :)

16. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
    I may still look into the windows. TF2 has a limited window selection so it's a bit of a pain. I think some of them may be large too, which could be problematic. I'm more trying to make it _look_ large without actually making it that large.

I think they had some interesting styles though, so we'll see.

17. Noggin

Noggin L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks great, where do u get the time?!?

18. Vilepickle

Positive Ratings:
  19. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Do you have a computer in your shower/toilet/car/bed? :D

Nah it's looking nice dude. Like always. Again, your own style.

20. jamin620

jamin620 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    That is cool as shit, but I have one concern.

I feel that you should rethink your texturing choices. use less in order to make it more in line with TF2's style. losing the dark trims would help.