CTF_Call2Arms_A3 - released

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by Nosher, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Nosher

Nosher L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    scale the water to 1.00 in the 2nd picture. Also scale the rock texture to 0.50 at least.

3. Fingersniffer

Fingersniffer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:

We're happy as it is, thanks.

4. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    fine but leaving water at 0.25 is known as cheap water for a reason.

5. Fingersniffer

Positive Ratings:
    When we had it scaled up, it looked like jelly. So, "cheap" water it is.

6. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    It will look better when it's scaled up. For proof, look at the water in 2Fort.

7. Arhurt

Arhurt L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Interesting map, I like that rocket room, but the smoke looks funky it that screenie.

As for the water, I like it the way it is, the room may be larger than you imagine in that screenie, and the motion might break the patter a little bit.

8. Nosher

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks Arhurt - and you are spot on - ingame, the water looks pretty good - and certainly doesn't look outta place.

Nosh

9. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    The cliff looks fine, though i would have to agree with scaling the water up. there's nothing to ripple the water that much in a cave, is there?

Also you might wanna add a platform half way up those wooden stairs in the cave, it looks awefully boring just some massive/long stairs and would give an extra defensive position. Otherwise it just looks quite bland.

I'm not sure i like all those lanterns, you couldn't mix up the lighting source a bit? Other than that the lighting is quite nice.

You might wanna add a trim to the egde of the red catwalk there. Looks rather hl1-ish.

10. Fingersniffer

Positive Ratings:
    !

11. Nosher

Positive Ratings:
    As Stinky stated above, we tried different texture scales for the water and this looked the best - I have updated the screenies, but you will have to have a look in game to really see where we are coming from....

[​IMG]

The cavern piccy is outdated and new one is below - the platform is a lot lower, enabling battles etc on the platform as well as at ground level....

[​IMG]

Lanterns - they are too bright and will probably be dimmed a smidgen....

Catwalk is ok - again, in game is a better test than a screenie overview.

Some more outside screenies....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the feedback

Nosh.

12. R3dRuM

R3dRuM L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    the middle:

[​IMG]

13. Nosher

Positive Ratings:
    Do you mean add a tunnel Red, per your diagram?

14. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    Another tunnel would be a bit redundant. The outside is fine as it is. If there are snipers dominating the topside, there's already an alternate route to take.

15. Gadget

aa Gadget

Positive Ratings:
    hey Nosh and Stinkpackage,
    here's my list of comments I already told you in game.

- the particle smoke of the rocket in the red base really can slow down a computer. in blu base it's just fine. I guess you've been using env_steam, might want to change that to info_particle_system
    - some ceilings are too low which makes it feel strange
    - stairs that lead to the outside area are very steep
    - concrete texture (the one with the cracks) has been used for floor and ceiling in some areas
    - I could add more comments on some texture choices and alignment but I won't for now because it's just an alpha version

However it played quite nice and I had fun with it.

16. Fingersniffer

Positive Ratings:
    Firstly, we appreciate the feedback. :)

Nosh?;)

This has been something people HAVE commented on and I guess a few of them are lower than is traditional for TF2. MY main point would be - Are they SO low that they get in the way of gameplay? In my experience they aren't, but that's just my (and, to be honest, a few clan-mates') feeling. Altering their height would be a MAJOR ball-ache.

Yeah, possibly. Though I wonder if it were more gradual, I think it'd be very easy for demomen to stand outside spamming grenades. Maybe, maybe not. Again, does it adversely affect game play? I don't know.

This really IS something I can live with. It took me ages to find roof/ceiling textures (from the pitifully small list) that looked ok in certain areas. I believe, from reading posts here, that other people have resorted to using floor textures on ceilings etc, so I thought, what the hell.

By all means, if there are any textures you think are GLARINGLY out of place/misaligned, let us know. This is our first map and, as such, I've tried REALLY hard to stick to the TF2 visuals, but maybe something's slipped through my net.

At the end of the day, as long as it plays well, that's what matters. Myself and Nosh would really like to see the map getting a lot of play as we're pretty sure it has a lot of potential for tactical play once people get to know it, so feel free to hop on anytime. :)

17. Gadget

aa Gadget

Positive Ratings:
    none of the things I mentioned really affect gameplay. if you'd like to have more feedback on the textures I could take a closer look and maybe provide some alternative suggestions.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Nosher

Positive Ratings:

I just checked - both are env_smokestacks!! LOL

I need to look at the info_particle thing - never looked at that before - thanks for the heads up :)
    Nosh.

19. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think it has too much lamps on the cave, but it looks in general very nice!

20. Géza!

Géza! L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yep, the big bunch of old lamps looks a bit strange, I suggest some spotlights instead.