ctf_battlements

spamdog

L1: Registered
Jun 21, 2009
Hello all,

I'm working on a CTF map that is fairly small and designed for some fast-paced action.

There are three routes to the enemy base and considerable cover so that it is not a total-gibfest.

As you can see there is no detail or texturing (except for the spawn rooms).

I was wondering if anyone could give this map a shot on their server to give it a bit of a playtest.

Looking forward to some feedback about this WIP.

Thanks,
spamdog

Last edited:

Delusibeta

L3: Member
Mar 21, 2009
Recommending any map for insta-spawn servers is practically a guarantee it's going to not get any help here.

Aug 19, 2008
don´t turn the map down without having it played at least once or seeing major flaws on the screens, that´s just rude

for how many people is it designed?
it should be able to cope with 24 players, since most servers are 24 slots and admins certainly won´t put up a map thats just unplayable with the standard playersize, and dumping half the connected serverpopulation for just one map would be unacceptable

you can submit it to gamedays and see how it stands up on a full server
but be aware that there will be a big negative consensus if the map is way too small for normal gameplay and it turns out to be a gibfest

mtv22

Feb 28, 2009
I hope you realize 2fort isn't a good map, or fast paced. If you plan on hiding the intel 1,000 feet below the ground and only 1 entrance to it, not many people are going to play your map.

spamdog

Jun 21, 2009
It is set up for 16 player slots each side. I've tested the spawnrooms on both sides.

There are three paths to the opponents base so it should allow for some variability in gameplay.

It is quite a small map but there is significant cover and many different routes of attack and escape.

The intel is perhaps a little bit too acessible, but I would still like to see how it goes.

Delusibeta

Mar 21, 2009
oh. Why's that?
Insta-spawn servers are the major irritant of every map-maker, who sees that there's a tide of moans about balance despite the fact that they spent the last six months balancing their map.

So, yeah. I probably recommend a re-write of the intro. Probably something along the lines of "This map, although inspired by the likes of 2fort, is more open and should be less prone to turtling and boredom. It provides plenty of escape routes and alternative pathways for efficient escapes." Don't bother mentioning recommendations over respawn times, as you can fix it yourself.

I'll have a quick run around this map and see if (with emphisis on the "if") there's some obvious design flaws.

[Edit] Well, I've see that you've re-worked the intro. It's better now.

However I've found a problem: the door to Red's lower spawnroom doesn't work. You're going to have some moans if that isn't fixed.

Also, I'm a little worried about the size of the map: it takes a Heavy about five seconds to get from spawn to his own intel, and fifteen to go direct from his enemy's intel to his own. Obviously, progress would be slowed if you have sixteen people shooting at you, but still. If the gameday reports that it's a spamfest, then consider re-working the layout so that the intel isn't close to the spawn and generally making the bases further away.

Last edited:

spamdog

Jun 21, 2009
OK thanks for the feedback. I've fixed that door issue.

I am rather worried about the size - I think I will overhaul the middle of the map and create another room between the two sides.