ctf_2Fort_remixed

Neal Kenneth

L1: Registered
Sep 20, 2015
I used to be a very active player on the TF2 Xbox scene so you can imagine just how tired I got of 2Fort. Having played something like a hundred hours of the map I came up with lots of ideas for how to make it more fun.

Now I need your help. I'm looking for someone who can sit down for a few hours and tweak the map. My goal with this project is to make relatively small changes. I don't want to "fix" 2Fort so much that it becomes a different map (I think that's how we got Doublecross), so really, I believe someone with a solid understanding of how Hammer works could get this done in a weekend.

Here's a little teaser of the sort of tweaks I'm talking about:
NcWlPPf.jpg

If you're interested, please send me a PM so we can get started. Thanks!

hutty

aa
Mar 30, 2014
Most of the valve maps are a mess in the editor, 2fort, has the honor of being 5x more horrible than the others. (almost as bad as hydro ... almost)

So I highly doubt you will get a mapper who is happy to take time making tweaks for you, especially when you factor in compile times and testing.

Your probably better off learning the inner workings of hammer yourself and then coming back to this project when you are ready.

Neal Kenneth

Sep 20, 2015
Your probably better off learning the inner workings of hammer yourself and then coming back to this project when you are ready.
I just don't have the time for that (believe me, I've tried.) I am willing to pay a fair amount for the work, but I'm sure there's someone out there who has a genuine interest in the project too.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
People have already been making 2fort edits for 8 years now. Nobody really cares about this anymore. You're on your own.

Apr 14, 2013
Why Make something that has already been done? I remember that back in the day I was looking just for that- a good version of 2fort to play around. Gamebanana had in it's map section at least 4 different attempts to fix 2fort, some were rather radical ("let's put a huge-ass thermo-electric ventilator shaft between the computer room and the sewers") and some were more conventional, fixing some problems with mid, and with the intel access area, as far as I remember there were a few other things.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Not really. Most people don't care about Valve map edits.

Not to be rude, but... you should trust our years of experience over your own beliefs on this one.

Neal Kenneth

Sep 20, 2015
It's not that I don't value your opinion, I'm just baffled by the haughtiness and negativity of this community. I posted this morning with a request that is simpler than most in the thread (editing instead of creating a map from scratch) and even wrote that I'm willing to pay anyone who is interested to help.

All I've gotten since then is a bunch of people who say "Silly pleb, no one is going to want to do this." Well, if that's true, I'll be able to tell in a few days when no one offers to help. What are you accomplishing with these comments? Are you setting up for later when you can say "I told you so?" I mean yeesh, I'm a newcomer with a lot of ideas, thought I was starting small and yet all you guys have done is push me away. Not that I'm giving up, because I'm definitely willing to wait a few weeks for an offer, but I'm just shocked by the attitude of everyone who has replied so far.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Just trying to save you some time and energy. Instead of waiting days or a week to see if anyone bites, you can either move on or attempt the changes yourself. Sorry it isn't the reaction you hoped for. Might want to check this old thread out, it hasn't stopped being true. You might also want to read this. Those might explain it a bit.

Again, sorry this isn't the response you were looking for. But this is not an uncommon idea for new members to have, and generally, the other people here already have original projects they want to work on. It's considered more rewarding to create new maps than to endlessly tinker with old ones.

Here's a longer post I wrote detailing why another person would be better off making an original map. Hopefully it helps you understand where we are coming from.

I didn't mean to sound so negative, and I apologize for that too. I had good intentions.

Last edited:

radarhead

Basically? Kind of a Huge Mess
aa
Mar 6, 2013
(Ninja'd by Tyler)

I agree that Takabuschik and Tyler's comments are unusually negative, but the general consensus seems to be that 2Fort (and most standard CTF in general) will never be truly balanced with TF2's mechanics. People nowadays play 2Fort expecting a deathmatch.

You might be better off trying to adapt these improved areas into an original map, instead. Or just learn Hammer, make the changes yourself (shouldn't be that hard) and prove us all wrong!

Neal Kenneth

Sep 20, 2015
Thanks, Tyler, that's much more helpful. In those earlier posts, I was just getting told "no" without any real explanation besides that it's been tried before. I will definitely be reading up on the links you just posted. However, I still have a hard time believing that there isn't a dollar amount that wouldn't entice SOMEONE out there.

I've tried to learn Hammer before and it's just something I can't stand or understand. It's worth the money to me to have someone else do that part of it. But thanks for the encouragement and suggestions Captain_Clam

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
The community here has developed a strong reaction to these things because it's not something that [as a community] we want here. Several of the posts in this thread are unusually negative, but if you look at it from our perspective you might understand why people have a strong reaction.

Imagine a man who walks into a community of artists and says "Hey I have a great idea for a painting, you'd only need to do a few brushstrokes on top of this other painting by Turner, any good artist could do it in a weekend. Hit me up if you're interested!" Unsurprisingly, the artists all think he's an absolute fucking moron. None of them would ignore him and let him continue to search for that one artist who is a bit of a hack and will do the work, instead they all loudly tell him to fuck off.

Can you see how this is similar?