CTF score system

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Personally I am hoping that big arrow signs, a short, but detailed map description and even a text popping up saying what to do will solve that...
Idiots dont read. This was already clear when the 'Do you want to install this virus?' popups showed up on pcs. Its a sad truth and sadly affects all gamemodes in tf2 due to the way the weapons are balanced (thank you teammate that decided it was a smart idea to go melee mode against a medic that has the ubersaw - just because he doesnt know how to change back the weapon to the minigun). Dont attempt to add such info for those players. Only add it to guide the more advanced ones.
but the gamemode I'm planning isn't super advanced...may even see if I can add some of the administrators voicelines (I'm hoping on keeping it below the complexity that some of the current "beta" game modes are, while trying to keep in fun to play)
Even if advanced it doesnt have to be bad, you can already asume 50% of the players to be bad and the fight happening between the remaining 50%. And all of them should understand it. You also cant trust them to understand it in 1 go. I had to get used to snowplows capture system aswel even though its simple. It had something new in it, even though it was irrelevant to the gameplay it distracted from it.

MvM on that has the exception of only containing 6 players, this increases the chance of containing a full team of players that know what they do. The same counts for comp. Again a reason to often exclude them from the idea. They can manage it anyway. You never should attempt to balance at them, unless in the end you notice it suits them very well (in mvm this allways can be reached due to popfiles being balanced to them - for regular maps you sometimes need to be lucky)

EDIT: note that tf2maps isnt a reliable test pool, since it has many mappers in it the chances people quickly understand the mode is higher, this is good to check if a gamemode works, but sometimes can hide too hard gamemodes. Care should allways be taken, hence my 144 char rule example before. A short twitter message should be enough to explain the gamemode, it doesnt have to tell all details, its just that people can get a good idea of what their task is. This is mainly aimed at the bad 50% of the team, the good 50% can win in pub regardless of the gamemode.

Last edited:

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
Personally I am hoping that big arrow signs, a short, but detailed map description and even a text popping up saying what to do will solve that...
I can tell you personally, the signs should only be used as an aide, you cannot rely on them. I had a payload map with 4 huge signs pointing in the right direction but people still went the wrong way. Trust me.
Also think about it....do any other maps use text popups? Why do you think that is?

Hanro50

L1: Registered
Mar 16, 2016
EDIT: note that tf2maps isnt a reliable test pool, since it has many mappers in it the chances people quickly understand the mode is higher, this is good to check if a gamemode works, but sometimes can hide too hard gamemodes. Care should allways be taken, hence my 144 char rule example before. A short twitter message should be enough to explain the gamemode, it doesnt have to tell all details, its just that people can get a good idea of what their task is. This is mainly aimed at the bad 50% of the team, the good 50% can win in pub regardless of the gamemode.

Ok, The thing I am thinking of designing will be able to be explained in less than a full lenth twitter message

I can tell you personally, the signs should only be used as an aide, you cannot rely on them. I had a payload map with 4 huge signs pointing in the right direction but people still went the wrong way. Trust me.
Also think about it....do any other maps use text popups? Why do you think that is?

I'll add some signs here and there, but I'll not go overboard

I have a map that is still a work in progress that will use these gamemode and I am thinking of releasing an Alpha version if I feel like it looks finished enough soon-esh, no promises

Even if advanced it doesnt have to be bad, you can already asume 50% of the players to be bad and the fight happening between the remaining 50%. And all of them should understand it. You also cant trust them to understand it in 1 go. I had to get used to snowplows capture system aswel even though its simple. It had something new in it, even though it was irrelevant to the gameplay it distracted from it.

It will have it's advanced bit where players who have learned some of the ways the mechanics of the map work will have an easier time, but that's because of my workaround to a "limitation" in hammer and is the only mayger point that can confuse newer players, but still, it's nothing "big"...