CS:GO gets a workshop and custom gamemode support

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Bermuda Cake, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
  2. Dïcecübe

Dïcecübe L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    All they do care is hats. HATS!

I guess the chance giving TF2, a hat and trade simluator game, a workshop for custom maps and gamemodes is very small.

Well that would bed good if they added it.

3. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    I feel like they're adding it to CS:GO as a trial run to see how well it does, and then they will possibly implement it into TF2 later on if it's a success.

The custom gamemode feature sounds pretty neat too, but I think it'd be too complicated to implement into TF2. Who knows though?

4. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Melee Fort as a custom gamemode for TF2.

5. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    The in-game menu interface for custom maps is pretty slick.

6. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Got a screenshot of it?

7. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    (when you subscribe to a map in the workshop and open CSGO, that screen is where you select the map you want to play)

9. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    So essentially subscribing to a map means you get to search by it?

I like this.

10. Seba

Positive Ratings:
    Well, no. The menu Tarry is in is just a local play/training menu from which you select a map then play on it with bots. If any servers with actual people are running a workshop map you can still get it from the server or search for it in the browser. Having a map subscribed allows you to search matchmaking for it, I think.

11. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    The best thing about the workshop is that everyone who subscribed to your map will redownload it when you update it. So no more de_blabla_aXXX or bYYY.

1 bsp you can update.

But actually I don't see a lot of server with worjshop maps. Too soon I guess.

Btw, vote for us : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=125663769

12. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Gee it sure would have been nice to have that back when people were promoting their maps as "final" and then had to rename them to stupid stuff like "final1" when they were bought by Valve, huh. :sneaky2:

13. 3Dnj

aa 3Dnj Ducks

Positive Ratings:
    Haha yeah, the terror of the last mistake I forgot that kill my final ^^.

14. Seba

Positive Ratings:
    AFAIK valve give mapmakers the choice of what to name their map. I think freight and gullywash are the only ones with _final1 appended, while the others simply drop the suffix or choose _final. But I agree 100%, subscription to maps is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

15. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    The ones that have _final1 appended did so because they had already used _final and the no-suffix version.

That said, I think I may have jumped the gun; I don't actually know if having this feature in TF2 would actually fix the "version in custom maps folder tries to override official version" thing. More likely it would have the opposite effect of every new custom map having no suffix and then having to rename itself to "_official" or something if it's added to the game. It's not an issue for CS:GO, because it keeps all its maps in a raw folder.

16. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    the header for bsp files contains an interger named mapRevision. So you CAN differentiate files with the same filename. Now of course there's no way for the end user to tell without an hex editor which map is the newest but you could easily add a "map manager" within the tf2 client to sort things out for you. or it could even be done automatically

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  17. Seba

Positive Ratings:
    Well then what are you waiting for, do it

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. Bermuda Cake

Bermuda Cake L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=9915

A custom mutation (gamemode) system for L4D2, now - I wonder if they're testing this out on other platforms before introducing it to Dota2, rather than TF2. It's important to remember that TF2 isn't Valve's biggest game anymore.

19. Bloodhound

Bloodhound L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Does that mean, that they'll remove all the bad updates from the last 2 years? :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1