KotH Crystal

evicted

L1: Registered
Jan 12, 2010
My entry for the Koth Contest.

A large quantity of valuable crystals has been discovered in an isolated location. While no one is particularly sure what the use of these crystals is aside from "Look pretty," everyone is fairly certain that the deposit is worth fighting over. Koth_Crystal takes place in the largest known deposit of these crystals, and is therefore the site of the most important fight over these shiny rocks.

Last edited:

evicted

Jan 12, 2010
Updated with the first beta build of the map. You can download it and let me know how you feel about the layout.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
Looks good visually from first glance.
However.
Your lighting is either very dark or you have a leak.
Check for leaks (load the default pointfile by going Map > Load Pointfile) and if there isn't any, please brighten the playable space. There's a difference between a moody map like Doublecross and a dark mess.
Maybe it's the screenshots or my computer, but people are going to agree with me that you should brighten it up a bit.

evicted

Jan 12, 2010
Looks good visually from first glance.
However.
Your lighting is either very dark or you have a leak.
Check for leaks (load the default pointfile by going Map > Load Pointfile) and if there isn't any, please brighten the playable space. There's a difference between a moody map like Doublecross and a dark mess.
Maybe it's the screenshots or my computer, but people are going to agree with me that you should brighten it up a bit.

Oh all I did was toss in a few light entities at 1000 brightness each so that people could walk around the map and check the layout without fullbright. None of these lights will be in future editions of the map. I'm not at the lighting phase yet.

evicted

Jan 12, 2010
Updated Koth_crystal to B5 with appropriate clipping, good lighting and light props, and functioning spawnrooms. Also, could someone tell me where I should go to sign this up for a gameday?

Mar 20, 2012
Also, could someone tell me where I should go to sign this up for a gameday?

http://forums.tf2maps.net/forumdisplay.php?f=35

Look for an upcoming post with the date of a future gameday. Follow the instructions in the OP.

As for your map - right off the bat the point looks extremely uninteresting. It's just a huge expanse of flatness with large sightline balconies hanging out on the outer areas. That doesn't look fun to fight on at all.

Roosevelt

Jun 28, 2012
I must say, I like the idea and concept. And good job on that crystal work! :)

But yes, I must agree with Donut. The point could use some more flair.

evicted

Jan 12, 2010
Updated to B6 with more terrain variation and cover to reduce sightlines. Also added another ramp to the center point on both RED and BLU sides.

evicted

Jan 12, 2010
Updated to B9 with most outdoor detail done, though displacements are still absent. I also reworked the middle point to be more interesting in terms of visuals and gameplay.

This map will be on the 8/19 gameday, so check it out and tell me what you think.

evicted

Jan 12, 2010
Updated to B3 (my naming convention was way off). Most of the map was changed per gameday feedback, and I feel that this version is much more balanced and interesting. Full notes in the changelog.

B3 will be on the 8/25 gameday.

phi

aa
Nov 6, 2011
2, 5, 6, 9, 3.
What in the world caused that to happen.

Numbers aside, the map is looking good so far. I'd have to play it to get a sense of what's bad and what's not. Hopefully it isn't too big or small.

Also, when/if you get to Beta 5 again, be sure to name it B5B or something different than your first B5, because people who have the previous one will get errors when trying to download the new one if it's named the same thing.