Crits: On or Off?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by tyler, May 17, 2011.

?

Crits!

1. Turn random criticals on

36 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. Turn random criticals off

32 vote(s)
    42.7%
  3. I don't have an opinion and shouldn't be voting in this poll

7 vote(s)
    9.3%
  1. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Here it is.

In this thread, there's not really any need for debating or presenting arguments: you've probably said it by now, and the purpose of this is just a fresh poll. Don't waste your time typing.

2. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    You didn't consider/include damage spread...

3. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    I don't really have an opinion on that, nor is it my focus in things that I think need to change. Someone else can make that poll. I think splitting them in general will make wrong votes easier to avoid.

4. Omena

Omena L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Constant damage is dull, it's nice to one-shot every now and then. :)

5. Fredrik

Fredrik L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hate random critz. They're nice when you get them, but to horrible when you get hit by them

6. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Random crits give those "oh shit" moments, which make the game less stagnant.

7. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Critvote and crits on/off by author's request

8. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    This is a poll for defaults. I hope you voted for what you think should be default.

9. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Default: off.

On by mapper's request.

So sayeth I. So voteth I. And so something elseth that ends with -eth I.

Kep

10. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Random crits are a nasty bugger. On one hand, it's euphoria to get a crit rocket and saxton-rape 10 enemies at once. On the other hand, it sucks to be one of those 10 that got insta-killed from pure chance.

I really think they should be turned off. They're entirely based on luck, and we have plenty of other ways to FORCE crits entirely from skill (Axtinguisher, Kritzkrieg, Jarate, ect. ect. ect.) instead of chance nowadays that we really don't need random crits anymore.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  11. Turbo Lover

aa Turbo Lover Fight me under Glasgow Central Station

Positive Ratings:
    Crits don't bother me much, except when they're off the Spy's backstab animation doesn't play. I voted Crits On because of this, but I'm not going to lose sleep over either decision.

12. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I like random crits because it makes 1) the game more fun, 2) keeps me on my toes 3) this is how the map is going to play most of the time and 4) Huntsman kills are a lot more fun.

I still have yet to understand how the random crits can effect the testing of a map. Yes, there is a chance for random crits and basically insta kills. But I'm not sure how having them on effects feedback vs having them off.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Are you sure about that? Most regular servers I know have crits off.

14. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Opposite for me.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    no offense, but the only valid reason is number 3. fun is subjective, not a lot of people like to get lucky, hand-fed kills and vice versa.

16. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Pretty much this. I enjoy the game more without random crits as it's all about a player's skills. This means that player skill is determining map balance, not some software dice rolling. The only arguement for this is that melee crit at a base 40% meaning crits are a large part of melee play.

Frozen, you say you don't understand how crits affect your map but this has already been discussed in the previous thread. It's not about balancing your map for crits, it's about crits affecting the development of your map. Crits throw anomolies into your play testing and thus hinder proper development. A crit can affect a win for either team that may or may not have the upper hand and necessitate more tests in order to ascertain the true nature of your maps pros and cons. A couple random crits for one team can cause an unexpected steam roll and waste your time testing balance.

It's still a deadlock at 17/17.

I'll try and work on a config we can switch out so we can have both.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  17. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    I voted on, because who cares, really. They're a nice change of pace every once in a while, and I guess they attract randoms when an event isn't going on. However, for testing my maps, I will request them being off because I'm no fun like that.

18. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Alright fair enough. I see the other argument against random crits more clearly now.

19. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    A config or a way for donators to pop up a vote or change it without a vote for testing their own maps would probably solve all the problems!

20. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Oh yeah well this is a poll for defaults. I hope you voted for what you think should be default.