Creating windows that suck?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Fr0Z3nR, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, so I had this idea for a feature of map (a map which i will probably start soon, once my first map CTF_offtrack is ready for playtesting)...

basicly, I would like to create a window, then after XXX amount of damage it breaks and players in the surrounding area are sucked (or pushed) out the window.

I have attempted this with Trigger_Push, but people say that it is really annoying to work with, and i've also tried func_conveyor.

I have set the output on the window so that OnBreak it would enable the conveyor to turn on and then lauch said player out. Though, this isn't working. I havn't discovered any guides for this particular thing... any ideas?

2. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    a point_push set to a negative value? That'd suck them towards the window, but to get it really working you'd have to do this:
    Put one moderately powerful point_push set to a negative value behind the window, by about 32 units
    Put one weak point_push set to a negative value in the exact centre of the window, moved in towards the playspace by about 4 units
    Finally put one really powerful trigger_push pointing out of the window, that goes through the window, out, and is about 8 units inside the playspace.

Players get pulled towards the window, into the centre, and catapulted out the back into your trigger_hurt.

3. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm alright. and how would one go about making it so that the pushing only happens when the window has been broken? and resets when the window resets?

4. honeymustard

honeymustard L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Have a look at Steel - it uses the same sort of effect when red defends successfully (into the pit at E).

5. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    simply get the points to start disabled, and get the window to send a on-break output

6. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    I think it'd be better to kill the player before they're sent out the window, unless your windows are much bigger than the player.

7. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    The windows will be larger than the player.

I thought about making it so that on break the window spawned func_conveyor, but that didn't seem to work the way i wanted. I'm still tinkering, I will look at Steel.