Creating textures for special brushes

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Washipato, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Washipato

Washipato L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Is there a way to export the shape of a brush or group of brushes faces to an aplication like photoshop to create a texture specialy designed for it? If not, which workaround would you suggest?

2. Lord Ned

Lord Ned L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Uhh.... Theoretically you could export that section of the map to a new VMF. Then open in Crafty and export to OBJ. Load it up in 3ds Max/Whatever, and render out a frame based on the right perspective. That would get you a flat on pattern that you could export to photoshop, resize, etc.

3. Pilk

Pilk L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    You can export it to OBJ and open it in Photoshop.

Photoshop CS3 (and up) can import and edit the textures contained in a 3D file. Textures are imported as 2D files with the 3D model and appear as entries under the 3D layer.

4. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know the command (look for perfect screenshot tut) but you can turn off perspective flying around in game (for overhead shot). Just print screen, crop to a 1x1 ratio, should fit pretty well. (even if it needs scaled in Hammer)

5. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think you're looking for cl_leveloverview but I don't think that would work for Washi, as it removes perspective flying but you can only move in one dimension and can only look down, meaning he could only get 1 face of the brush.

6. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    For most of the non-bumpy bits (especially if your goal is to make seams look like) just record the sizings/offsets, extract the relevant VTF image, edit it, save it as a separate VTF/Material, and then change the brush to use your new image...

Remember you can also do a limited sort of "painting" onto existing textures and brushes by using custom overlays.