Cake or Death?
aa
Dec 20, 2007
O.m.f.g...

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Could do with a 3d skybox tbf. Plus, i'd rather create my own buildings than drag and drop prefabs. I don't call that a level editor i call it a terrain editor. Just like Battle Ground 2.

Still.. you can make pretty nice environments, if you try. A shame that because of it's apparent ease people will probably just make box maps etc etc with no real prospects to realism. Just take a look at youtube. 90% of the maps are just buildings placed opposite each other or in a square. Death match arena's. The most uninspired maps in the world.

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
lol, yeah i wonder what the Crysis version is of that.

I dont know why Valve cant even put a simple displacement/terrain editor like Terrain Generator in Hammer.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
because the types of maps you make in each editor are completely different, cryengine goes for huge open maps whilst source goes for much more confined 'you go this way or be faced with a wall' type environments

if valve added something like that cliff thing it would only hurt the custom map comunity, adding insult to injury of those damned orange maps

Jazz

Mar 9, 2008
When the guy added those mountains I almost cried. Then he got cocky and made a river inside them!

Brandished

Jan 19, 2008
Last edited:

FaTony

Banned
Mar 25, 2008
.......Dammit. But that couldn't be done with the BSP... and it's really bad...

Btw all those are displacements and props...i haven't seen brushes there..... wait a sec! OH F**K Scalable props! Dammit! AHHHHHHH ouch owwwww Look at vid 2 when he's playing with NPC..... oh man

At least TF2 plays better.

I don't want to look at Hammer any more :(

Last edited:

samn

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 28, 2008
Far Cry 2 and Crysis are being done with different engines and developers, I believe.

Laz

L420: High Member
Jul 5, 2008
the landscape just works with heightmaps, the real nice thing in this is the ability to create brush to paint forests with, where you can add in different trees/plants all in one, and add how random you want the height and orientation of the trees. then just paint your forest :)