Creating Custom Objects

B.B.P.D.

L1: Registered
Jul 20, 2009
Is there any particular reason you create custom objects in a separate 3d program. Why can't I or shouldn't I make one in Hammer and then just group the object? thoughts?:confused:

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Models can have far more complicated geometry than possible in Hammer.

Big Lou

L3: Member
Mar 17, 2008
Tie-down? You mean like a rope? Something like that can be made and textured in hammer, but it will look better (slight slack, bumped cords) if you use a 3D modeler.

B.B.P.D.

L1: Registered
Jul 20, 2009
thanks but no. one of the giant ship tie-downs on docks. what you wrap the rope around to hold the ship at dock. could be made with less than 20 polys.

SiniStarR

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Mar 31, 2009
They are not. Use the Gui compiler and keep folders organized. I can churn out 10 models in a minute.

i do have the gui and everything is organized, rather I should say QC files are annoying. Sure the basics are easy but even then when your going for specifics its just GNEDGNSDOGNOsgns

Aug 19, 2008
takes 5 minutes to figure out extras on the qc, it´s well documented,
and after that just back everything up and you can leech of your own qc if you need something specific again

having to build specific objects in hammer would be annoying and would look less excellent.
the texture would certainly somehow look gross and adding specifics to it (e.g. skull on blu oil-barrel) would be no fun

sure, learning how to model and unwrap/texture is a book of it´s own, but definately worth the hastle