Create water flowing down a hill

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Simulacron, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Simulacron

Simulacron L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I want to create a little river flowing down a hill, saddly I haven't any ideas how to do this I tried to create the water with waterfalls as you can see below, but it isn't looking very good and isn't going smooth in the water below
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Is there a better possibilty do do this?

2. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    There's a flowing water texture you could try using. I forget its exact name but you should be able to find it just by searching 'water' (or possibly 'waterfall'). There's a see-through version and an opaque version.

3. Simulacron

Positive Ratings:
    I tried this one out, but it is still solid if I'm using the nonsolid texture and you can also see the impact Points of the bullets on it.

4. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Make it a func_brush and set its solidity to Non Solid.

5. Simulacron

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you

6. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    You can also use a displacement with the waterfall texture, which will give you more control if you need the water to curve side to side, or "flow" over edges. Displacements with the waterfall texture won't render right going beneath a water brush, so you'll have to put it on top of any water planes. Select the entire displacement and turn off all the collisions in the displacement panel, too.

There's a blend texture in the sphinx pack that will let you fake water flow a little better. It's what I used in the lower left corner of this pic from koth_sekhmet. It will look weird in Hammer -- the fade colour appears black -- but it will fade to invisible in the map.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    ^ that's actually much better than using func_brush, cos displacements can make flowing water look more realistic.

8. Simulacron

Positive Ratings:
    ok, will think about this

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  9. Simulacron

Positive Ratings:
    How can I make so the water flows faster and how can I remove the impact Points on the displacment. I set disabeld as collisons for it

10. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    Select the entire displacement -- not just the faces -- and then check all the physics/hull/ray boxes on the displacement panel:

[​IMG]

If that doesn't fix it, open up the materials\egypt\sphinx\water_sekhmet_fake.vmt in a text editor and just doublecheck that it has "$nodecal" "1" in it after $additive (my local copy has this, but I realize that the pack might not).

Both of those should work fine, the displacement should be non-solid for players, collisions and bullet holes.

11. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    I would never recommend changing someone's/official VMTs. If it comes to this, it's better to create your own one and pack it to BSP, isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Diva Dan

aa Diva Dan hello!

Positive Ratings:
    don't forget that particles will also help hide more rough transitions between the prop and displacement. There is a particle that looks like a constant rough splash, so you can put that around the edges of the rocks to seem like the water is fighting it. It looks good, too : )

13. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    It's a moot point as it turns out. I just checked the pack and I don't have the water_darkblend texture in there anyway, so I'll need to update the download.

Also, it was my pack I was talking about, and I was totally fine with him modifying the texture to get it work until I uploaded a fix. :p

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
Tags: